New 2008 R2 DC not functioning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 2008 R2 DC not functioning

Before I begin with the problem. I want to thank the forum for all the answers I have used in the past.

Over the weekend put a Server 2008 R2 in to a 2003 domain.

The dcpromo completed sucessfully with a message saying that it was unable to create an entry in the DNS server (Sorry, I do not have the exact error).
    But it did say it completed.
    I can see it in domain user/computers listed as a DC.
    I can also see it in the domain site and trust snap in.

When I disconnect the old DC (I have not demoted it yet) users are unable to login to the domain, and even opening a shared folder fails.

My guess is I have an incorrect or missing DNS entry, but I am not sure what it is.

Thank you for your help.

Re: New 2008 R2 DC not functioning

Have you configured the domain clients to use the new server as their DNS server? If not, that's probably the problem.

As for the error during DCPROMO, it was probably related to creating a delegation for the new server in the parent zone, which is a normal error message and can be ignored.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...x#BKMK_Dcpromo

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
      Have you configured the domain clients to use the new server as their DNS server? If not, that's probably the problem.
      Background.
      I inherited this network. The old admin did not install dhcp on his server, so he ran it on the router (sonicwall). which I do not have the password for.

I have manually entered the new server as the first DNS entry on the workstations.
      The problem still persists.

I am wondering if there is an entry on the DNS server that I am missing.
      or is the replication of the AD just not happening?

As for the error during DCPROMO, it was probably related to creating a delegation for the new server in the parent zone, which is a normal error message and can be ignored.
      That is the DNS error I got during installation. I had googled it and seen that it was OK to continue, but thought it might be worth mentioning. Thank you.
      Last edited by kzimm200; 23rd October 2012, 15:19.

Comment

I am still having the same problem. Any more ideas?

Thank you.

Comment

What are you using for DNS on your server?

Can you please post a sanitised DCDIAG log for us to check.

Comment

When you disconnect the 2003 server, are the Clients connecting to the 2008 R2 DC for DNS? Also, is the Windows Firewall On or Off on the 2008 R2 DC and does the network location say it is 'Domain Network'? Also, worth verifying that DNS is AD integrated and use the ADUC tool on the 2008 R2 server, esnure it is pointing at the 2008 R2 server and verify that you can access AD.

Comment

Thank you all for your help.

I went into the customers over the weekend and with the suggestion I got here, I was able to fix the problem. Today they are running on only the new 2008 R2 server. The old server is sitting on the floor unplugged but ready in case of a problem this week.

DCDIAG leg me to the actual problem. (I will post excerpt from it next weekend)

Basically it was unable to see itself as a DC, because the sysvol was not mounting and therefore the netlogon share was not there.
              I found a microsoft article that gave me a regedit for the sysvol which then brought it up.
              Then had to nfr the two system. I will try to find the links I used
              Basically I did a D4 on the old server and a D2 on the new one.

This then allowed the system to replicate as it brought up the netlogon share.

Thank you again for the guidance

Comment

Working...
              X