Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing/resetting Local Amin Account on Windows Server

Hello
    I have to change Local Administrators password on about 700 servers (Windows 2003/2008.). These are local admin accounts and have nothing to do with Domain. In fact I dont have a domain user account. Is there any way I can change the password through a script or batch file. I can use the following command to change the password but I have to logon to each and every server to do that manually
    net user username newpassword
    I tried using pspasswd command remotely but it gave me RPC error. Is there any command or script I can run remotely via RDP or VisionApp or Remote Desktop Manager (Devolutions) to change the local admin password. I mean the script can run automatically upon login via rdp and change the password via net user or any other command.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ubfunky; 4th October 2012, 14:05.

Re: Changing/resetting Local Amin Account on Windows Server

Not sure quite what you mean by "Nothing to do with domain" but if they are actually on a domain then you could use group policy preferences (preferences/control panel settings/local users and groups.
    Failing that you can use "NET USER Administrator Password" via psexec
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

What I meant was I dont have any domain account for these servers and dont have access to group policy. I only have local admin account on these serves.

Comment

OK, so to clarify, you know the password, but need to change it on many non-domain members

Can you use remote powershell or psexec to do it from a central point?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I tried psexec \\servername net user username newpassword but got the following error eventhough the admin$ is enabled on the server

Couldn't access Server:
          The network path was not found.
          Make sure that the default admin$ share is enabled on Server
          ============================

I also tried pspasswd.exe \\servername username newpassword but got the following error eventhoug the service is running:
          Error changing password:
          The RPC server is unavailable.

Comment

Working...
          X