best patch managments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best patch managments

am looking for best patch managements application, i need to install it in production.

Re: best patch managments

WSUS???

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../bb332157.aspx

Comment

WSUS or Microsoft SCCM if you also wish to keep 3rd party apps updated.
      WSUS is free with Windows Server OS. SCCM 2012 you need to buy.

Comment

Start by telling us what you want to patch.

For Microsoft OSes and applications, concur with WSUS
        (Note also WSUS can be extended to cover non-MS programs http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...7-933531f382fe)
        Add central AV management and you should be fairly well covered
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i need somthing stable better than wsus
          i need it for windows and some other application

Comment

WSUS is (IMHO) pretty good and stable, but if you want something better, consider SCCM
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by pix911 View Post
              i need somthing stable better than wsus
              i need it for windows and some other application
              What makes it unstable?? We've been using it in our org for many years with no issues.

As Ossian said consider SCCM, not cheap though.

Comment

If WSUS is unstable, you might have a application installed which uses the same ports as WSUS.

For example one of our clients had WSUS crashing or falling over multiple times a day.
                Turned out they used an AntiVirus program which utilized TCP port 7000-7010 for their agent. Reconfiguring their AntiVirus to use different ports fixed the issue.

If your WSUS falls over, something is wrong, and you need to verify the event logs for errors.

Running a netstat from command prompt to find out which applications have what ports opened might help you out as well.

If WSUS fails on this system, so will SCCM, as it is dependent on WSUS.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
                  If WSUS fails on this system, so will SCCM, as it is dependent on WSUS.
                  Not strictly true, IIRC. SCCM uses WSUS to download the patch list from MS but not for the distribution, so WSUS could be in a separate VLAN visible only to the SCCM
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

Where I am going it is that if WSUS falls over, SCCM won't be working properly as in no MS Downloads. Guess my explanations are not very clear. I kind of presume that people make the relationship themselves, which is my error. Communication is not my strong point, sorry

Comment

Working...
                    X