How to store domain users files on server rather than locally

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to store domain users files on server rather than locally

Title says it all. I'm just trying to figure out how to make it so each login has its own 'user disk' on the server thats loaded once they login on a client computer. For example, say John Doe logs in on COMPUTER A and makes a word document, saves it, then logs off. They should be able to go to COMPUTER B and login and have their file on their desktop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have 0 experience with domains and this is my first one set up, so forgive me for lack of knowledge!

Re: How to store domain users files on server rather than locally

Use Folder Redirection for the My Documents folder and instruct the users to save their files to their My Documents folder.

Comment

Setup roaming profiles. A quick google should get you there

Should get you to a step by step explanation tutorial. No need for me to rewrite it
      Google the below for a tutorial.

create roaming profile windows server 2008 r2 ttcshelbyville

Comment

IMHO not roaming profiles unless combined with redirection of any large folders (large = >1mb)
        Roaming profiles are copied to/from the profile server at logon and logoff and the larger they get, the slower the process. For example, in an Exchange shop, profiles will normally contain an OST file which can be many Gb in size and will change each session so will get copied. End result = slow logons, slower logoffs, and frustration, as well as frequent corrupt profiles.

Concur with Joe -- best solution is redirect Desktop, Documents (incl pictures, music etc) and possibly AppData
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          IMHO not roaming profiles unless combined with redirection of any large folders (large = >1mb)
          Roaming profiles are copied to/from the profile server at logon and logoff and the larger they get, the slower the process
          I partially agree yes. For most (pretty much all) companies, folder redirect works best to prevent corrupting profiles, and slow logon/off process.

We use various solutions at various client sites, depending on their demands.
          In most scenario's using roaming profile works well, if you redirected desktop & my documents folders, as well as at least the Outlook folder containing OST.

We utilize the roaming profile to keep the desktop layout exactly as is.
          Some users are unable to work if you flick one or two icons around, as it confuses them a lot at times. Henceforth roaming still has some benefits.

Comment

Just a word of warning about the OST files. These are really PSTs and MS state that PSTs should not be accessed over a network as this risks corruption.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Again a valid point. I simply did not mention where to direct folders to.

Example again. Our maildata is set to C:\Data\%username%\Maildata
              Desktop & Document redirection points to share

Either which way. The poster should have enough info with the folder redirect suggestion. Roaming is optional.

Comment

Working...
              X