Converting disk from basic to Dynamic without losing boot partition data

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting disk from basic to Dynamic without losing boot partition data

I am running a VM with Windows Server 2008 R2 and I wish to expand the C drive space given on it. I increased the space on the VM but the space available to the disk volume is not available.

This is due to the disk still being a basic volume. I wish to convert the disk from basic to dynamic (via Disk Management) without losing any data.

By the disk volume being dynamic, I should be able to access the additional hard drive space allocated.

Please let me know if this is possible. I searched online but I wasn't able to find anything conclusive.

Thanks,

Phil.

Re: Converting disk from basic to Dynamic without losing boot partition data

Yes, basic to dynamic can be done without any information loss -- a reboot will be required, though
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Converting disk from basic to Dynamic without losing boot partition data

What do you mean the space is not available??

Do oyu mean that you can't extend it or something else??

If its the extending of the partition you require then look at ExtPart from Dell to do the job.

Very common to use this to extend partitions inside VM's. Have used it many times without any issues. As always though please ensure that you have a good working backup.

Comment

Working...
      X