Server 2008 r2 Wallpaper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2008 r2 Wallpaper

1. I have Server 2008 R2 setup and runing great, the problem im facing is the wallpaper on clients computer desktops. I set the wallpaper in GPO under \\servers\hare\wallpaper.jpg and it displays correctly on all the clients desktops, the problem is i want it to go under \\server\share\desktoppaper\wallpaper.jpg and when I set it to that it will not work, it just displays a black screen like it cant find the directory.

Why is it that it will find the wallpaper in a single directory but if you place it inside of a folder in a directory it wont find it.

2. How do I allow access to usb devices in GPMC?

ANy help would be appreciated.

Thank You in advance..

Re: Server 2008 r2 Wallpaper

checked permissions on the folder? if you log on as a user that should be applying the policy, can you browse to that folder? Can you open the file ?

what do you mean "allow access to usb devices in GPMC" ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

I have checked permissions and I can browse straight to the folder and view the wallpaper but it will not appl to any users if I put in more than one directly down. If I just put it under one folder it works great but if I put it in a folder within in a folder it does not work.
      My users plug in a USB device but can't access it.

New question: how can I set it to where all the users have Microsoft word upon log on?

Comment

the default for usb devices is to work.

so, if someone plugs a usb device in and it doesn't work, either somethig is faulty, or an existing administrator has already configured a policy to disable usb usage, in which case you should speak to them.
        otherwise, there are plenty of articles on the internet (including this site) on how to disable USB access. Just reverse this process
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

New question: how can I set it to where all the users have Microsoft word upon log on?

And why would be the reason that I can't get group policy to apply to windows 7 machine? I have tried everything I know and read all kinds of articles with no success. Any ideas?

Comment

In the user properties, set a "run on startup" application -- do you really want to do this?

Check your event logs (client and server side) to see what errors Group Policies are generating. Combined with the other issues you report, you have too many problems to be co-incidental and your AD needs a serious look at.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank you for replying. I am new to server 2008, where do I go to see the event logs that would help me diagnose what's happening?

Ok new problem, now it is kind of putting the wallpaper on the client pc. The screen is completely black but under desktop wallpaper properties, it shows the correct wall paper from the server as being displayed. If I move a window on the screen I can see the wallpaper for a second but that's it, the screen stays black. I know the policy is being enforced because everything else is working like Internet homepage is set to the correct settings and greyed out like it should be. I even clicked remove desktop recycle bin and it removed the recycle bins off client pc. So I'm not sure why it's turning the screen black. Any idea? Is the gpo corrupt?

On the software thing, I would like all clients to have Microsoft word on their pc.

I really appreciate you all taking the time to reply to my issues. I am totally confused on why this is happening.

Comment

Are you talking about installing Word, or running word when each person logs on?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well I was just wondering if there was a way to install all the software on the server and have that software shared to all users? And do you have any ideas on the other issues I'm having? And where are those logs located?

Comment

Event logs are under computer management -- look for errors in the System logs initially

Applications like Word are normally installed locally -- you could have a central installation on a terminal server but that would work differently.

Tell us more about your network (size etc) and maybe you can get better help, but if you are not confident managing AD, consider using a consultant initially to help you tet up to speed
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by smcs View Post
                      Well I was just wondering if there was a way to install all the software on the server and have that software shared to all users? And do you have any ideas on the other issues I'm having? And where are those logs located?
                      no. you can't really do this.
                      At least, not the way you're probably thinking.

What you could do:
                      1. Install the applications on a Terminal Server & use TS RemoteApp to share the applications (still require license for each user)

2. Have the applications packaged on the server, and deployed via group policy to install on each workstation. (Still require license for each user.)

Some applications do work the way you're thinking - for instance, one of my clients has a package called handitax - that's specifically how they tell you to install it. "Install on server, publish share, put shortcut to application in share"

usually, this is not a good way to do things.

Comment

Working...
                      X