Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining W2008 domain from PC on different subnet

Hi all.

I'm trying to join a W2008 AD domain from a pc on a different subnet. Subnet is configured as vlan on cisco switches with a router for traffic between vlans:

DC: 192.168.12.104 / PC: 192.168.13.11 / VLAN ROUTER: 192.168.12.2

Static routing on DC:

Network Destination | Netmask | Gateway | Interface | Metric
    192.168.13.0 | 255.255.255.0 | 192.168.12.2 | 192.168.12.104 | 21

I can ping DC->PC and PC->DC. If I enter the DC's IP, I can browse shares from the PC. PC has DC as DNS server and is able to resolve hosts based on that.

lmhosts contents on PC:

192.168.12.104 org-server #PRE #DOMrgmi

The actual domain is "orgmi.local" but when I joined all the other PCs (on the same subnet as the DC) I just entered "orgmi". Also, this is the only computer on another subnet that has to be on the domain. I have not set up any subnets/sites other than the main one in AD.

The error I'm getting contains this string "The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.orgmi"

Any clues?

Re: Joining W2008 domain from PC on different subnet

Check you can ping the DC by both NetBIOS name and FQDN
    Try joining using orgmi.local (the FQDN) as it sometimes works better
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Update on the issue: I have analyzed traffic between PC and DC and it turns out that the PC sends a "SAM LOGON.." request which is received on the DC.
      But then the DC doesn't respond so the PC tries one more time after which the error message is displayed on the PC.

BTW if I put the PC on the same VLAN as the DC, joining the domain works flawlessly. But it's definitely not a routing issue since both machines can see each other.

I am really starting to go insane over this

Comment

You might try putting an entry in your router, pointing to your DC's IP. Since the router is the gateway for the PC's vlan, under the 'interface vlan xxx' command in the running config, add 'ip helper-address 192.168.12.104'.

It helps with the layer 2 traffic that's part of the domain join process that won't be routed on it's own.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Add to my previous comment - try adding a static route on the DC to the other subnet and on the PC to the DCs subnet.
          Yes, I know the router should handle it all but sometimes it helps....
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

have you added the second subnet to Sites and Services?
            Shouldn't be strictly necessary, but may help.. ?
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
            X