XP sp3 stuck on applying settings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP sp3 stuck on applying settings

I have a few XP SP3 machines that are getting stuck on applying settings.I'm having a heck of a time trying to figure where the issue lies.The DNS settings are correct so that is not the issue from what I can tell also unplugging the Cat5 cable doesn't force the login through. I checked the application event log and I didn't see any userenv errors under the 1053 or 1054 ID.I also have windows 7 PCs on the doamin but they don't get hung up applying the same GPOs . Any ideas where my problem may lie?
    MCITP: EA

MCITP: SA

Re: XP sp3 stuck on applying settings

Possibly a corrupt profile -- worth trying with a "virgin" user account (not previously on the machine)
    Any other clues in the event logs?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I didn't see anything of value in the event log.I tried logging in with my account which has never been logged on that pc and it gets stuck still.I'm thinking its a group policy settings but I can't figure out which one it is.Is there a good tool that can help me pinpoint the issue?

Comment

Rsop, gpresult.

Comment

Here are a few things to try before you run out of options.
          Log in as the Local Adminisrator find the NIC right click and choose repair.
          Put computer/user in its own OU with no policies applied, reboot the computer, see what happens.
          check dns and reverse dns, delete any records pointing to the computers hostname/ip,
          disable any firewall antivirus software, test in safe mode.
          Disable the Network Location Awareness Service.
          remove and re add/install the network adapter.
          system restore.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

thank you for all the suggestions

Comment

If you have logged in before with as this user then , unplug the network cable , this will log you in as the account will be cached. Plug the the cable back make sure you can see the NIC under device manager , If you have a laptop or another machine plug it into that drop.

If you have to boot into safe mode as the local admin , rename that profile your using , restart the machine and try logging into the syatem with the same profile.

Comment

Working...
              X