• AD Move

i apologies before for my poor english

my companie has 3 offices all with own domain controller

we now discuss move to a hosted data center because we grow large

is this approach the sensible way;

1 configure network to data center
    2 install domain controllers in data center as part of existing domain
    3 close down old domain controllers in offices

any considerations or issue to be aware?

how does this effect sites and services?

ok to no longer have domain controller or global catalog on site. network links to data center shall be very good.

thanking you

Re: AD Move

If you are sure about reliability of data centre links, that is fine, but IMHO nothing lost by keeping DCs in the offices
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

okay

remain the office domain controllers

users would then authenticate to office domain controller (site)

use data center domain controllers as main forest root domain controllers and fsmo roles and dns dhcp

?

is it typical to have the data center with the only domain controllers for companies and none domain controllers on offices

Comment

How good are your links?
        cheers
        Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

400Mb on per office
          500 peoples per office

Comment

With 500 users at potential risk if the link to the data centre dropped, I would consider local DCs (more than one) to be absolutely essential.
            And probably some local file storage too
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

but redundant network links and 2 datacenters so less risk

Comment

You didn't mention the redundant links and multiple datacentres before -- how about providing us with all the relevant information -- what does your data centre SLA say about uptime, for example?

Note there will be no correct answer to this question - my personal opinion is that for the number of users you have, local DCs are most suitable, but then, I would spec a local DC for a 50 user site.

You may want to do a SWOT analysis or something similar of local vs data centre DCs and see what comes out best in your environment.
                Ultimately the choice is up to you and all people here can do is add their opinions.
                Last edited by Ossian; 7th September 2012, 10:39.
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

ok

we wish to move to 2 hosted cloud model so eliminate all local hardware

3 local office (all approximating 500 user each)
                  400mb from each office to each data center (redundant)
                  project to have 3 domain controller each data center

my theory. if one wan link from one office fail, other wan link still available.
                  400mb big link so no need for local dc.
                  no need for ad sites anymore in offices.

i would considered before to keep dc in every office but desire to move away from that to full hosted environment.

i know what you mean by local dc for over certain number users but where is the threshold (?) - i mean by this is there a point where bandwidth is so good that local dc per user count is not relevant.

example you spec a local dc for 50 user site with 10mb bandwidth to datacenter. but if you have 100mb link to datacenter would you still use a local dc. if you had 1gb link to datacenter would you still use local dc. where is the threshold (?)
                  Last edited by MoShakir; 7th September 2012, 14:40.

Comment

Ultimately it is up to you -- there are no set figures.

One thing -- you are only considering the speed to the data centre, not the reliability. Does your SLA give any uptime guarentee or speed of response if the link goes down?
                    What if someone puts a digger through a crucial fibre somewhere on the route?

IMHO always think of the worst case -- what would happen if you were cut off from the data centre for an hour, a day, a week?
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

thanking you again

reliability to data center would be links to 2 x data center so if 1 break, other link to other data center available

question about domain controllers number is if configure 2 x data center as 1 ad site then 2 x total domain controller should sufficent - 1 each site

if 1 data center fail, other data center dc is ok or would it better 2 x domain controller each site

Comment

You may want to consider some consultancy to help you with this -- 1500 users is a lot!
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

Working...
                        X