Server 2003 to Server 2008 R2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2003 to Server 2008 R2

Hello everyone. I haven't posted in a while but now I need some advice again.

The current server is 2003 Standard and serves as DC, DNS, DHCP, File and Print server and runs an SQL 2008 Database. The server only has 4GB of memory and some of the drives have already had to be replaced.

We have purchased a new server.

Dell PowerEdge T620 with Server 2008 Standard R2 16GB of memory and 1TB of SAS storage.

Anyways, it included Hyper-V and I am a virtualization newb. Right now the server is up and running and I haven't had a chance to really figure out how the best way is to upgrade from the old to the new.

I need advised on adding it to the domain and then moving the SQL 2008 and Databases over to it. Then I was wondering do I virtualize the old server and running it in hyper-v on the new or leave it as is and just move all functions to the new one. Basically I want to best make use of this new hardware.

I can still use the old server for storage purposes as well.

What is the best course of action here guys. Thanks and I'll check back to see if anyone has trouble understanding my chicken scratch.

P.S. The old server also had another server that was running server 2000 several years ago that has since quit so I removed it from the domain. I know I'm gonna have to take steps regarding the current 2003 domain in order to use the new 2008 server.

Thanks again.

Re: Server 2003 to Server 2008 R2

Remember the virtualisation license will allow you to run a virtual machine provided the physical machine is only used as the HyperV host, so you still only get one VM

How about moving only SQL, file and print to the new server (P or V) and leaving the old one as the DC etc -- that way you wont need to upgrade AD. Do not have a virtual DC running on a physical domain member as you will have startup issues: member server will not fully start until it contacts a DC, which will not start before the host server (You always need at least one physical DC to start first).
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Remember the virtualisation license will allow you to run a virtual machine provided the physical machine is only used as the HyperV host, so you still only get one VM

How about moving only SQL, file and print to the new server (P or V) and leaving the old one as the DC etc -- that way you wont need to upgrade AD. Do not have a virtual DC running on a physical domain member as you will have startup issues: member server will not fully start until it contacts a DC, which will not start before the host server (You always need at least one physical DC to start first).
      See, this is why I come to this forum. I did notice that the server had a key for physical and one for VM. I used the physical when I first started it up so I still have the VM key to use in Hyper-V right?? Leaving the old as DC sounds good as well. I think I will probably just use physical for now until I get a better grasp of virtualization. So basically just install SQL then detach the databases from the old and attach to the new? Is that right?

Comment

It should be all right, but remember any applications using SQL will need to be pointed at the new server (give it a static IP, IMHO). Make sure you create any accounts you need to as well.

Also remember you will need to remove SQL from the old server once you are sure it all works.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X