No announcement yet.

Backing up & Restoring to RAID Arrays.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up & Restoring to RAID Arrays.

This is my first post to this forum and I had to sign up because a lot of my google searches ended up at this site and it has been a great help!

Onto my post, I have a Dell PowerEdge 2970 that runs 2 SAS Drives in a RAID1 Config. Now, I wanted to upgrade to a RAID5 or another RAID1 with newer drives and this has turned out to be a HUGE chore. So huge in fact, I had to rebuild the Server OS. I had Server 20082R2 running on the first pair of drives so I used DriveXML to do a backup of them. I had to use DriveXML because we can't really afford any of the big brand name backup solutions, more on this later.

So I restored it to the new RAID5 array and it starts to boot then I am greeted with this error. "AutoCHK not found - skipping autocheck" then after about 5 seconds it blue screens and reboots.

I did some googling and this seems to be some rare issues with drive letters and program locations and RAID Arrays. I did everyone's fixes such as disabled autocheck, editing the registry to remap autocheck, delete the drive letter so windows can automatically assign one; all to no success.

So I figured, ok, then I'll make another RAID1 array and restore it to that instead. Same issue! I even tried a version of ghost I had lying around for Windows Vista and still the same issue. I have already spent 10+ hours waiting for restores to complete multiple times and backing the original OS Raid Array up again with different software just to be sure. I was so pooped! I just rebuilt the Server which took around 3 hours.

So I came here to ask, what the heck did I do wrong? Does anybody know what software can do this or is there another way of doing this without all the issues? Maybe it's a driver issue and I should sysprep the OS first. (I can see that NOT working but who the heck knows.)

Thanks everyone for any thoughts!

Re: Backing up & Restoring to RAID Arrays.

Windows Server Backup, which is built into Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008R2 can be used to perform a bare metal restore of the server.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...are-Metal.html

Comment

If I have a Win Server 2008 R2 system built on a server without RAID and I want to restore it to an identical server except for the addition of hardware RAID (PERC H700) how do I get those drivers in the image?

Right now I do the restore and it crashes during boot because there are not RAID drivers in the OS.

Thanks.

Comment

StorageCraft ShadowProtect can do it with it's Hardware Independent Restore (HIR) function. It has a process to inject the drivers as it restores.

Comment

There's no way to install the drivers on the running system before doing the backup? I hate to buy something I'm going to use once.

Comment

Working...
          X