Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Sync Issues

Hi,

I'm struggling with an issue on our PDC. I'm trying to get it to sync to an external source but it's not happening.
    I've run all the usual commands such as w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:some.timeserver.net /syncfromflags:MANUAL /reliable:YES /update

I've also tried everything on this page here but still no luck.
    Everything is saying it should be using NTP but when I run w32tm /query /configuration I get the following:

EventLogFlags: 2 (Local)
    AnnounceFlags: 5 (Local)
    TimeJumpAuditOffset: 28800 (Local)
    MinPollInterval: 6 (Local)
    MaxPollInterval: 10 (Local)
    MaxNegPhaseCorrection: 1800 (Local)
    MaxPosPhaseCorrection: 1800 (Local)
    MaxAllowedPhaseOffset: 300 (Local)

FrequencyCorrectRate: 4 (Local)
    PollAdjustFactor: 5 (Local)
    LargePhaseOffset: 50000000 (Local)
    SpikeWatchPeriod: 900 (Local)
    LocalClockDispersion: 10 (Local)
    HoldPeriod: 5 (Local)
    PhaseCorrectRate: 7 (Local)
    UpdateInterval: 100 (Local)

[TimeProviders]

NtpClient (Local)
    DllName: C:\Windows\system32\w32time.DLL (Local)
    Enabled: 1 (Local)
    InputProvider: 1 (Local)
    CrossSiteSyncFlags: 2 (Policy)
    AllowNonstandardModeCombinations: 1 (Local)
    ResolvePeerBackoffMinutes: 15 (Policy)
    ResolvePeerBackoffMaxTimes: 7 (Policy)
    CompatibilityFlags: 2147483648 (Local)
    EventLogFlags: 0 (Policy)
    LargeSampleSkew: 3 (Local)
    SpecialPollInterval: 3600 (Policy)
    Type: NT5DS (Policy)

NtpServer (Local)
    DllName: C:\Windows\system32\w32time.DLL (Local)
    InputProvider: 0 (Local)
    AllowNonstandardModeCombinations: 1 (Local)

VMICTimeProvider (Local)
    DllName: C:\Windows\System32\vmictimeprovider.dll (Local)
    InputProvider: 1 (Local)

which to me says its still using NT5DS and not NTP like everything has been set to

Any ideas?

Cheers

Re: Time Sync Issues

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042
    Scroll down the page and use the second FixIt tool.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

I have already done this but manually - all the registry files are correct as shown on the website

Cheers

Comment

Any other ideas?

Comment

That listing of entries points out that your DC is running as a domain time client, not a domain time source: '...Type: NT5DS (Policy)...'. One or more Group Policy settings must be overriding your manual commands.

The MS site you gave the link to discusses using Group Policy to set the time settings. If your DC policy isn't set different to your default domain policy, that might be the problem. You want the domain members to refer to the DC, but you want the DC to refer to an outside source. If the DC policy doesn't override the def. domain policy, the DC will only refer to itself. Then there's also firewall issues to consider. If the DC doesn't have port 123 (NTP) open, it won't sync itself, and won't answer clients.

What entries do you get in the System event log when you run 'w32tm /resync /rediscover'??
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

After running that command I get the following in event viewer:

Time Provider NtpClient: This machine is configured to use the domain hierarchy to determine its time source, but it is the AD PDC emulator for the domain at the root of the forest, so there is no machine above it in the domain hierarchy to use as a time source. It is recommended that you either configure a reliable time service in the root domain, or manually configure the AD PDC to synchronize with an external time source. Otherwise, this machine will function as the authoritative time source in the domain hierarchy. If an external time source is not configured or used for this computer, you may choose to disable the NtpClient.

I'm going to double check all the GPO's that we have and make sure nothing has been set to over ride anything

Comment

I think I found the issue - it looks like it is a GPO thats setting it wrong.

I found one saying:
              Configure Windows NTP Client -
              NtpServer: DC2,0x9
              Type: NT5DS
              Enable Windows NTP Client: Enabled

Do I need this? For a start its pointing to our second DC and not our PDC.

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
                That listing of entries points out that your DC is running as a domain time client, not a domain time source: '...Type: NT5DS (Policy)...'. One or more Group Policy settings must be overriding your manual commands.

The MS site you gave the link to discusses using Group Policy to set the time settings. If your DC policy isn't set different to your default domain policy, that might be the problem. You want the domain members to refer to the DC, but you want the DC to refer to an outside source. If the DC policy doesn't override the def. domain policy, the DC will only refer to itself. Then there's also firewall issues to consider. If the DC doesn't have port 123 (NTP) open, it won't sync itself, and won't answer clients.

What entries do you get in the System event log when you run 'w32tm /resync /rediscover'??

The issue has been solved now - thanks

Comment

Glad to be of help!
                  *RicklesP*
                  MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X