• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best solution for IIS HA

Scenario is the following:
    • A couple of Win7 clients needs to open an IIS 7.5 Website
    • The website needs to be always availale

Despite the limited number of clients the availability requirement must be absolutely respected.

I wonder what HA solution will be better, with particular regards to website's ability of not going down after major events (temporarily connectivity problems, NLB node suddendly freezing, IIS failover should I use MSCS and so on).
    Choices in my view are:
    1. NLB
    2. NLB with Hardware Load Balancer
    3. NLB with AAR
    4. Failover Cluster with IIS configured as Generic Script
    What is your favorite option and why?

Re: Best solution for IIS HA

Ref #2 Not sure you would need an NLB if you have a hardware load balancer?
    I've only really played with one so far (NetScaler 7000) so limited with what I know however it can run regular scripts to ensure a site is online and working, failing that node if it detects an issue. It also allows dropping a node so you can patch/update the site, then bring it in etc (most NLB style solutions allow this).

I guess it's more relevant to ask what sort of budget you have for this as that can limit what you can do.

We've used NLB for website publishing before, albeit on the 2003 OS. It's pretty reliable but you won't ever get 100% (I know you know that!).
    Does the website itself get modified when a user connects to it or is there a backend instead. If the website gets modified then you may have issues with running NLB solutions as they would be out of sync.
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Re: Best solution for IIS HA

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      Ref #2 Not sure you would need an NLB if you have a hardware load balancer?
      I've only really played with one so far (NetScaler 7000) so limited with what I know however it can run regular scripts to ensure a site is online and working, failing that node if it detects an issue. It also allows dropping a node so you can patch/update the site, then bring it in etc (most NLB style solutions allow this).
      Good to know. I don't want a situation where a failed node gets back online but the client remains stuck with a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" error message

I guess it's more relevant to ask what sort of budget you have for this as that can limit what you can do.
      I would say a few thousands bucks (< 5k$), but maybe I can ask our Network Engineer permission for using his couple of F5 BigIP

Does the website itself get modified when a user connects to it or is there a backend instead. If the website gets modified then you may have issues with running NLB solutions as they would be out of sync.
      Do you mean WWWRoot folder content? If so answer is not.

I forgot to mention an important thing. This application also relies on Tomcat for serving JSP pages and a few applications to be configured as Generic Service for High Availability purposes.

For this reason my original idea was to go with a Failover Cluster

Comment

Working...
      X