Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed to open Policy object. You may not have appropriate rights Details : Unspeci

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed to open Policy object. You may not have appropriate rights Details : Unspeci

Hi Team,

Operating System : Windows 2008 R2
    Number of DC's : 4

we have created new Group Policy which accomplish our company security standard. and applied it on all the severs

Problem here is am not able to edit this group policy . When I try to edit the policy I get the message 'Failed to open the group policy object. You may not have appropriate rights. Unspecified error.'

NOTE: i can do edit on other Group Policy including Default Domain Group Policy

Regards
    Kris
    Attached Files

Re: Failed to open Policy object. You may not have appropriate rights Details : Uns

Are you editing it directly on a DC or on some other machine with GMPC installed?
    Can you check using a different account?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Failed to open Policy object. You may not have appropriate rights Details : Uns

Hi Thanks for your reply

Yes i am checking from DC's with few accounts. we have four DC's.

Regards
      Kris

Comment

Have you looked at permissions on the GPO itself -- could someone have been fiddling with them?
        If you change them to match the default domain GPO and then test, let us know what happens.

Alternatively, can you create a brand new GPO and try editing that?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

I have made changes in two sides

1. SYSVOL\Domain\Policy\ her i change my Domain Admin to Full Controll.

2. ADSIEDIT \ Domain \ System\ Policy Here give full rights to respective GPO

still no luck

Regards
          Kris

Comment

Perhaps the issue isn't Allow permissions... Do you have a Deny permission set to apply to any group or user on any policy in the domain?

At this point, you've invested a week in trying to resolve this. Can you create a new policy with the settings from this one, then delete the problem policy? Perhaps it just hit the wrong part of a replication cycle and got corrupted?

One other possibility: Was this domain an earlier generation that was raised to 2008R2? How long has the policy been a problem?

Three different approaches, but perhaps one will work.... Let us know.

Comment

Working...
            X