Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• group policy settings

Hi ,

I want to prevent my users to shutdown their desktop when they takes off for the day ...i want to allow them to restart their system , as sometimes they need to install some application ...Also i want them not to even run a commands e.g shutdown /s ...

is this possible using a group policy ...while searching on google i come to know about this links

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=11454

but this will allow restrict shutdown the server when users login to server locally...i want this on a user side when thy looged on to their own desktop using active directory id and password.

Thanks....

Re: group policy settings

i believe you will find what you are looking for in this GPO path:

user configuration/policies/admin templates/start menu and taskbar/remove and prevent access to the shut down command

you can then add a re-start shortcut to the users desktop. you have to right click on the desktop and create shortcut, then command is: shutdown -r

Comment

i also found this on the ms technet site for your run issue:

http : // technet . microsoft . com / en-us / library / cc940457 . aspx

sorry for the spaces, i'm new here and i am not allowed to post live url's just yet.

Comment

About 30 seconds on brought up a setting for Win7 / Server 2008R2 (but NOT earlier OSes):
        User Configuration - Policies - Start Menu and TaskBar - Change Start Menu Power Button
        (Sets default and will not let user change it)

Note however that Logoff is also on the Shutdown button so be careful about removing it, also remember the various CTRL+ALT+DEL options, and shutdown.exe

IMHO in this case, user education is an appropriate solution too.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Your solution works good in my case...now users can not shutdown or reboot. but after getting logout and at the time of login , there are buttons available , from which he/she can shutdown or reboot. So is it possible to restrict up to that level.

Thanks...

Comment

CCTV cameras and lasers (mounted on sharks if necessary)?

Why are you trying to prevent shutdown / reboot?
            Consider ways of educating you users alongside a technical solution
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

why does it even matter if they shut down the computers?
              If you're in an enterprise environment, a capable administrator would just use WoL to wake them up if need be.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X