Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Users being left behind in OU's after being moved

Afternoon 'all (or morning / evening)
    In my AD Domain I created a new top-level OU called Administration, then another nested one called Users. I created a number of Users (10) in this OU. No problems. Fast forward 2 weeks and I have had a rethink on my OU Structure and created some geographically based OU's, so I created another top level OU and structured it as follows

XXXXX Users > South Region > HQ > Users

(XXXXX being my organisation name)

All good so far. I then selected the 10 original users from the Administration > Users OU, right clicked and selected Move. I selected the new OU (as described above) and they populated in, all good.

Now I did this in the morning today, and when I have just looked, the Users are showing up in the old location (still) and the new location.

What's that all about????

Cheers guys and gals

Tommy G

Re: Users being left behind in OU's after being moved

Click refresh / F5 in ADUC
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Cheers Andy, I tried that but it didn't have any effect. I logged out and left it for an hour, that still had no effect. I took the bull by the horns and deleted one of the users in the original container and it left the other one, so I then deleted the rest in the original container and they were still in the new one, so job done.

Not normal though eh?

Tom

Comment

How many domain controllers are there? If there's more than one then I would suggest checking to make sure that replication between them is working correctly.

Comment

True Joe, I was assuming tommyg was looking at the same ADUC to see both sets of users.
          It's not actually possible for the same account to be in two places but the below is implying it is in this situation!
          cheers
          Andy

Comment

Thanks for the input guys.........I was looking at the same ADUC.......and yes, I only have 2 DC's in the domain. I'll check out the replication as a matter of course and monitor this closely as I'm gonna be importing a whole load of Novell Users very soon.

Top class responses as usual

TommyG

Comment

The only thing I can think of is a refresh issue on ADUC to be fair. Nothing else would make sense but that's been discounted so....
              cheers
              Andy

Comment

I would also suspect replication and do some testing of that before you make any more major changes to AD
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Am I missing the point? How would replication be involved if the change was on one DC and both sets of users are showing on the same DC though?
                  I could understand it if the users were moved on one and the other DC was being used to see where they were.
                  cheers
                  Andy

Comment

I read it that ADUC was connecting to the other DC and therefore displaying incorrect information -- maybe I'm missing something but that seems the most likely cause?
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Yeah but that would just show the old location not the old and new?
                      Either way it's a bit odd.
                      cheers
                      Andy

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, just done another move and they moved instantaneously so I'm not sure what was up initially. Could be the fact it's on a virtual setup and I don't trust 'em

Thanks as always!

Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X