No announcement yet.

Server 2k8 R2 Slow Network Transfer

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2k8 R2 Slow Network Transfer

I know this has been covered before but the other posts haven't helped me. We have a Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 x64 server with File Services and Hyper-V roles installed. The virtual machines (Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 and CentOS 5.8 x64) run flawlessly with no network speed issues, this seems to only affect the host. The server NIC and switches are all 1Gbps with the exception of a WRT-54g WIFI router with 100Mbps ports. Transfers between clients are fine but transfer between clients and the 2008 server average about 25-30% of expected speed on both WIFI (~200Kb/s - 2.5Mb/s) and ethernet (~5-10Mb/s) connections. When monitoring network usage on both server and client it is around 5%.

Following the instructions on several forums we have tried the following with no success and have since re-enabled them:
    netsh interface tcp set global chimney=disabled
    netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled
    netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Any help would be greatly appreciated at this point because we are stumped as why the guest OSs are fine and only the host OS displays problems.

Re: Server 2k8 R2 Slow Network Transfer

I wanted to add that I've seen some posts where the speed is only affected one-way but I've tested and the speed is impacted whether it's a send or receive. I just updated from the old Windows driver to the newer Intel NIC driver on the server and it didn't help.

I ran some diagnostic tests on the network and can find no physical problems. Is it possible the virtual NICs associated with Hyper-V might be causing the issue? It's a production server so I can't change the Hyper-V settings to determine if it's the issue or not. I'm running out of ideas.
    Last edited by Bestrafung; 18th July 2012, 17:14.

Re: Server 2k8 R2 Slow Network Transfer

Have you ever resolved this. I have 2 Win 2008 R2 (x64) hosts running multiple Win 2008 R2 servers for databases, IIS, etc. I have a Buffalo Technologies 4Tb NAS on the network and transfer rates from any of the HyperV servers or Host is terrible. I have resorted to USB drives and moving the drive back and forth to migrate server drives or move a SQL backup for restoration.