No announcement yet.

2008 DFS Server, Domain Namespace V Standalone

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 DFS Server, Domain Namespace V Standalone

First Post on Petri, but been a fan for years.

Have a very simple question.

2008 Domain, With NetApp Filer 2020, and Riverbed to assist remote offices.

All data stored at central location on NetApp 2020.

Implementing DFS to clean up domain folder share structure, and im struggling to find a reason why I need a domain namespace, and not just setup a standalone namespace.

I don't need to use DFS replication, as everything is in one location. Don't need multiple roots. But feel like I am using AD so i should be using a domain namespace.

We have 250 users so sure a standalone namespace will be able to handle the referrals.

So my question, will a standalone namespace, work fine for my simple environment, and not lag my users experience.

Advise and discussion appreciated.

Last edited by AJLeppard; 16th July 2012, 16:44. Reason: Forum Rules

Re: 2008 DFS Server, Domain Namespace V Standalone

It will work fine, but there is hardly any extra overhead for creating the domain namespace, so why not do it?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: 2008 DFS Server, Domain Namespace V Standalone

If you have AD, as recommended, use a Domain namespace. You could then even make your DCs a Namespace server, which will help with different sites. So are you using Riverbeds to enhance replication between sites or just to help optimise networks for another reason? We use them to optimise SAN replication between our datacenters and customer sites.

Implementing a Domain Namespace gives you the option of DFS replication in the future.

Furthermore, if your AD is in Windows 2008 mode, you can activate the DFS Domain namespace as 2008 mode and then enable Access Based Enumeration. This means that users only see the folders they have permission to access when using the DFS Domain based namespace.