Quest about 2008 Licences

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest about 2008 Licences

I've a question about Licences for 2008 ... what does mean that My windows came with 5 CALs that mean that five users only can access the server do i need to buy Licence for every user I Have or what & if this is right if i have HP pc with original windwos does i still need to buy Licence ... or that mean that i can use this copy for 5 servers plz help mr !!

Re: Quest about 2008 Licences

Server CALs are not the same as Windows OS licenses.
    Each CAL allows a single user (or single computer) to access either a server or any server. You therefore need one CAL per user in your organisation.
    Each server will needs a separate Windows License (which comes with CALs) so the more server licenses you buy, the more CALs you have (you can also buy CALs separately)

Note the only authoritative licensing answers you will get come direct from Microsoft but there is a good guide here: http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/a...s-license.aspx
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

thnx a lot i'll check the topic but i'm sorry to ask again so if all of my pc's r Licence i still need to buy a CAL's & if that right how come the crack versions of windows working without CAL's with more 200 users .. i need to understand really & as i told u i'll read the topic but this Qust came to my mind

Comment

To re-iterate:

Each PC needs a licensed copy of the Windows Operating System (XP, vista, 7)
        Each Server needs a licensed copy of Windows Server

If you wish to access anything on a server (files, shared printers...) each user also need a Windows Server CAL. Note this is NOT concurrent users - a CAL is required for each user who has the ability to access the server. As an alternative (if you share a few PCs between lots of users, each PC can have a CAL)

If you wish to use Exchange email, each user needs an Exchange CAL
        If you wish to access SharePoint (not the free edition), each user needs a SharePoint CAL
        If you wish to access SQL Server....
        (you get the picture?)

CALs are not normally rigorously enforced, but you are morally (and legally) obliged to own an appropriate number of CALs for your environment

Note I hope you are not using illegal copies of Windows (of any sort).
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Most of my pc's r Licensed & servers but Not all of them and we try now to put a budget becoz of that i'm asking. so how i can know how many CAL's I have already have & how i can Add More CAL's & as u said Also Exchange have also CALs so how i can configure it .
          Last edited by Mousa; 4th July 2012, 22:21.

Comment

If you have unlicensed copies of Windows, GET THEM LEGAL

Each Server 2008 Standard license comes with 5 CALs and each Enterprise License comes with 25 CALs. Any others you have bought will get some paperwork from Microsoft (there is nothing to install on the network - keeping track of CALs is a paper only exercise).

Exchange CALs are the same but Exchange 2010 (and possibly 2007) includes a log of how many CALs you need - you just buy an appropriate number and keep the paperwork in case Microsoft ask you.

Note that in general, if YOU go to Microsoft and say "I have a licensing problem", they will fall over themselves to help you sort it out. If Microsoft come to you and say "You have a licensing problem", you are in deep trouble
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

thnx thnx thnx a lot my bro for ur help

Comment

Working...
              X