Strange account issue HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange account issue HELP

So we upgraded to 2k8 R2 and the following happened to one user. Its a really odd issue because it seems like it contradicts itself.
    I have a user that is having a login/exchange issue. She is in a different Vlan then I am but then again so is everyone else. She works in a office with 4 other users. Non of them have the same issue.

The issue is when she logs in it can up to 15 mins to hit desktop, once in she is unable to use her outlook. It is unable to connect. I can ping the server and the DC I just cant log in to her account from her office into outlook. OWA works fine. If I log my account domian account into her machine I have no issues. I get right in and I get email no 15 min delay. Same goes for other Ad accounts used in her office.

Now here's when it gets odd. She has the same issue from any machine she logs into in that office including a laptop I brought. She even has the issue if I log her machine into our VPN.

Now here's where it gets worse. If I take her machine back to my office and log in it also boots up great and I get right in and outlook mail works just fine. It seems to be her account does not like that office location but what would cause an account to have such an issue?

So its seems its not the machine... and its not the account because both work just fine when not in that area. So what the heck?? Is there any way to advance troubleshoot whats going on here?

Re: Strange account issue HELP

You didn't say whether your users have roaming profiles, or just one profile local to the PC they normally log into? And I assume you've verified that her PC is not running something in the background, and it's connected to the network at full speed/full duplex? Sometimes auto-negotiate for speed & duplex gives you 100Mbit and half-duplex.

If roaming, you should have noticed by now that logging into a Server 2K8 environment doesn't use the same profile as with Server 2K3. What happens is the original profile is read, and a new profile with ".V2" stuck on the end is created in the same directory. You now have 2 different profiles for the same person, (i.e george and george.V2) and they are never the same again. Changes in one are not made in the other.

Maybe something went wrong with the creation of her new 'V2' profile? Try this: move her V2 profile to another location, then have her log in. A new V2 profile folder set should be created, from her original 2K3 profile. Once she's in and hard drive activity stops, then get her to go into Outlook again. New profile means new connection to Outlook, so see what happens. This assumes her PC is back in her office, by the way.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

You didn't say whether your users have roaming profiles, or just one profile local to the PC they normally log into? And I assume you've verified that her PC is not running something in the background, and it's connected to the network at full speed/full duplex? Sometimes auto-negotiate for speed & duplex gives you 100Mbit and half-duplex.
      Its local profile logging in to the domain. Speed is something to check. I'm not sure what she is set to. Thanks for the idea.

I don't think its profile related because her profile works normally here when i had the machine in my office. It was logging in great. The account wont work on her machine or other machines when in that office. But other accounts on all machines play just fine? If i had to guess it seems like its only her account in only that area. Any other advice?

Comment

What's different with her account in that area, vs her logging in while in your area? Subnets, routing, what?

If her profile is local to each machine rather than roaming from a network file server, I still say it's something with her profile in that area. Try copying her profile from the PC she logged into in your area and over-write that same profile folder in the area where the problem exists.

Report back.
        *RicklesP*

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
          What's different with her account in that area, vs her logging in while in your area? Subnets, routing, what?

If her profile is local to each machine rather than roaming from a network file server, I still say it's something with her profile in that area. Try copying her profile from the PC she logged into in your area and over-write that same profile folder in the area where the problem exists.

Report back.
          Her area is a different vlan, thats about it. It does go over a wireless link to that location. I replaced the switch and the patch cable to her machine too just to be sure it was not faulty. I did what you said it still the same thing. I logged her account into a laptop she never used that has been in my office. I brought that laptop with me and had her login in her office on that subnet and she could not contact the excahnge server for her email and it took forever to login. Then I tried my account and two other people from the same office and they had no issues. I dont get it. Could it be such thing as a messed up AD account?

Comment

You're right, this is bizarre. I can't see any way for it to be her AD account, that's an all or nothing login. If the permissions work locally in your office but not from hers, on the same PC, that nails the profile and AD. Next is something in networking.

Does her PC always get the same IP address from the DHCP server for that subnet? Or are you using user-specific policies in some way for the wireless comms? I'm thinking now about Quality of Service issues associated with her network traffic in/out of that subnet which don't apply when she's connected through another subnet, like your office.

Are you using a VoIP setup, and her PC connects to the network thru the phone to the switch? Improper settings on the switch port for that setup could affect her traffic.

Anyone else out there got any ideas?
            *RicklesP*

Comment

Does the machine get its IP from DHCP??

Is she getting an IP address in the correct range??

Can she ping the default gateway and the relevant exchange server both by name, FQDN and IP??

You mention she is in a separate VLAN, are there any ACL restrictions on the switches??

Can you logon as the administrator on the same machine and get the same issues??

Comment

What about Dns settings, Hostfile?

Comment

Well, let's get oldschool: does she use a space heater near her desk? If the speed/duplex of her machine matches that of the switchport and there are no errors on the port, then that's all I got. You've eliminated the cable, and it's not the NIC since it works fine in your office, so it sounds like the problem is on the switch. I've had incidents where clearing the counters on the switch improved connectivity for folks that had a lot of errors on the switchport they were connected to. Otherwise, I got nothin'.

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
                    You're right, this is bizarre. I can't see any way for it to be her AD account, that's an all or nothing login. If the permissions work locally in your office but not from hers, on the same PC, that nails the profile and AD. Next is something in networking.

Does her PC always get the same IP address from the DHCP server for that subnet? Or are you using user-specific policies in some way for the wireless comms? I'm thinking now about Quality of Service issues associated with her network traffic in/out of that subnet which don't apply when she's connected through another subnet, like your office.

Are you using a VoIP setup, and her PC connects to the network thru the phone to the switch? Improper settings on the switch port for that setup could affect her traffic.

Anyone else out there got any ideas?
                    Yea she her DHCP ip is always the same.

No we dont have any policies such as that.

No that switch only hosts computers in that branch.

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                    Does the machine get its IP from DHCP??

Is she getting an IP address in the correct range??

Can she ping the default gateway and the relevant exchange server both by name, FQDN and IP??

You mention she is in a separate VLAN, are there any ACL restrictions on the switches??

Can you logon as the administrator on the same machine and get the same issues??
                    Yes.

Yup.

Nope.

No. The Admin account (local) or any other domain account logs in perfectly.

Originally posted by mhoogev View Post
                    What about Dns settings, Hostfile?
                    All normal. I even cleaned the registry and such. But like I said its not her machine. Even ones I bring that office give her an issue when there.

Originally posted by Bertmax View Post
                    Well, let's get oldschool: does she use a space heater near her desk? If the speed/duplex of her machine matches that of the switchport and there are no errors on the port, then that's all I got. You've eliminated the cable, and it's not the NIC since it works fine in your office, so it sounds like the problem is on the switch. I've had incidents where clearing the counters on the switch improved connectivity for folks that had a lot of errors on the switchport they were connected to. Otherwise, I got nothin'.
                    I'll have the guy who does the networking here peek into that to see if anything can be done on that end.

Thanks guys I'll be sure to let you guys know what happens one way or anther.
                    Last edited by StoneAJ; 28th June 2012, 14:15.

Comment

This is really stretching, but have a look: recently had our own situation where some PCs in one area were dog-slow almost all the time, regardless who logged in, but when that same person logged in elsewhere, no issues. Roaming profiles, some profile folders redirected, all PCs same model, same software (recently did a complete tech refresh of all clients!). Remember, some machines/people not affected at all.

What we found was in the switch! In the flash memory were 2 folders with a serious amount of log files, all of which had been there a while (years). Cleared out the flash, reloaded the switch overnight, and viola!, all fixed.

If there's not a lot of memory or storage free in the switch, it gets slow, but not necessarily for all traffic/users. Something to think about.
                      *RicklesP*

Comment

It is an issue with the bandwidth. The machine logs in but its not pulling down GPOs or really logging in even though it is.. so it acts like its off the domain... that's why outlook was giving the issues. I found this in the errors logs. I had a co-worker check and he said there was nothing... well that was wrong. That told me the full story. Now to trouble shoot why its getting killed. The ping jumps all over when i ping mail. It's a job for our networking guy. Thanks for your help people. I'll update this again when we find more.

Comment

If its a bandwidth issue then why does it work fine on that laptop for other users??

From post #1

If I log my account domian account into her machine I have no issues. I get right in and I get email no 15 min delay.

Is there something trying to process via GPO?? Application install maybe.

Is there a local DC at that site?? If not then think about placing one there. Stop this kind of logon over a WAN link.

Comment

Yea i know its odd because it contradicts itself but we dont really have any GPOs setup. We dont use them for installs or anything of the such. Thats a good idea about the DC. Maybe place a read only in the area, but there are only 3 computers there dunno if its worth the time.

Comment

So the issue has been fixed for now. I placed a GOP on her account to make it disable "fast logon optimization". Now it has to fully connect to the network before logging in. It can take a while but it does not have the issues anymore. This is just a temp fix. They are moving in a year and because this problem only happens over that connection in that location it will be a non-issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X