No announcement yet.

selected server log-in users

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selected server log-in users

how can set-up my dc so that the admin/domain admin are the only users allowed to log-on to the server locally or remotely.

Re: selected server log-in users

by default, a DC will only allow Domain Admins or Enterprise Admins to logon.

There are no local administrators on a domain controller.

if this is a member server and not a domain controller, look into group policy.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

If you really want to stop other administrators accessing the DC (which they normally need to do), look into "deny logon locally" and "deny logon remotely" user rights in a GPO attached to the DC OU. Be VERY careful in case you lock out the main Administrator, though
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

NT 4.0 Server had a setting(s) where the user could logon as an Administrator using their account but permissions were locked down so they couldn't go and do any damage. I believe, if my memory is working, that one of the restrictions was the inability to make Registry modifications. Don't know if the later Server versions had similar useful restrictions. I believe it was more aimed at junior admins who were still on training wheels.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015