Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server Backup not complete system states

Hello All,

I am new to forums for posting but have been reading for over a year now and hope you can help me out on this one.

I currently have a Server 2008 R2 and the system states do not back up to a local drive anymore. They had previously in the past and an employee who no longer is with my company was supposed to haved fixed the issue but didn't before she left (last year) I'm now just finding out it still exists.

Basically, I can run a system state backup using server backup to a network share fine but not to a local drive/volume. But I use a 3rd party software that backs up locally and uploads the backup off site. (I had to modify the registry last year to enable local system state backups)

The backup error given in server back up is:

The operation was stopped. Detailed error: the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

The error log says:
    Error in backup of C:\windows\\systemroot\ during enumerate: Error [0x8007007b] The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

I've read other websites stating this is a registry error. I searched the registry for "windows\\systemroot" and nothing showed.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: Windows Server Backup not complete system states

If I am right, you have made a registry hack of some kind. It would be worth making the local directory you are backing up to a share and backup to that share. That way your offsite backup will work and Windows Server Backup should also work without the registry hack.

You perhaps are best to remove the Windows Server Backup feature and then add it once again. Have you also tried using the commandline to backup systems state?

Comment

i would actually also be inclined to run a chkdsk just in case, and look for file system problems..
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
        If I am right, you have made a registry hack of some kind. It would be worth making the local directory you are backing up to a share and backup to that share. That way your offsite backup will work and Windows Server Backup should also work without the registry hack.

You perhaps are best to remove the Windows Server Backup feature and then add it once again. Have you also tried using the commandline to backup systems state?

Thanks for the ideas. I will have to test the directory as a network share idea. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Server Backup Feature multiple times to no avail. When I run command line it works to a network share but not a local directory. I will try the command line again once I set up the network share directory.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X