No announcement yet.

setting up dns on d/c on win svr 08 r2.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up dns on d/c on win svr 08 r2.

hello all, I have a test enviroment that I installed a virtual machine win svr 08r2 I made it a domain controller with active directory. Help me with a brief over view or link on how to setup dns in the d/c. I would also like to register my domain name. I kind of understand how it works but not fully. I know that u need to register your domain name to the outside world and they provide dns servers that you use on your network right? anyway this is what I would like to do, setup dns on the domain controller (dc) register my domain name and what ever you guys think that would make this a real but very small network

Re: setting up dns on d/c on win svr 08 r2.

If you have setup a Domain Controller (DC) the DNS is already running on it.

Originally posted by arcolino
    I know that u need to register your domain name to the outside world and they provide dns servers that you use on your network
    You ISP or Domain Registrar can provide you with DNS IPs that you add to the DNS Forwarders tab in your DNS Server.

Is the name used on your Virtual Machine a FQDN TLD or something like mydomain.local (as opposed to mydomain.com)?

If it is set as mydomain.local then once your FQDN is registered then all you need to do is add an A Record for your FQDN in your DC's DNS. Make sure the router is forwarding the appropriate posts to your VM. I woulsd suggest your VM DC has a Static IP and not a Dynamic one that is assigned by the router. If you are going to run any workstations on this "network" then I would suggest you install DHCP as practice for allowing the workstations to receive a Dynamic IP from the DHCP Server.

If your Domain Name registrar has a Control Panel then the appropriate A Record (and MX Record if you plan to install Exchange Server for email) need to be entered in their DNS so your records are published to other DNS Servers until they become globally known. This can take approximately 48 hours to happen.

I keep thinking that I have missed something..........
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
    X