No announcement yet.

Memory Allocation to Services

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Allocation to Services

Hi, I have a website running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise with Apache 2.2, JBoss 4.2.3.GA, MySQL v5.5 on a virtual machine controlled by VMWare. I use a tool called JbossNativeWindows to execute JBoss as a service. Basically The service module runs as a wrapper around the JBoss process which runs in a JVM, or Java Virtual Machine. We have 16 GB memory allocated to the server and need to give the JBoss JVM at least 4GB, preferably 8GB. Memory will soon be bumped by a factor of 2 or 3 and I will need to increase the allocation for JBoss when that happens. So it's quite important I get this figured out.

If I assign 1GB to the JBoss JVM it works great. Except some actions will bust when it runs out of memory trying to process data. If I try to increase the memory on the JVM to 2GB or anything higher than 1GB the server will start, however it returns an error 503 to Apache.

I don't see anything that gives the wrapper module a specified amount of memory. Also, I have successfully assigned as much as 4GB to the JBoss JVM on my development machine which has Win7 Pro running.

So I am trying to:
    1. Determine if there is a configuration setting that limits how much memory can be assigned to a service when setting up Server 2008 R2 Enterprise.
    2. If there is, what do I have to do to increase that?
    3. If there is not, then why do I have a process that appears to not like a memory allocation over 1GB?
    We are expecting a significant increase in number of users and need to get this resolved. The memory on the server will have to grow along with the increase in users. But it won't help to increase memory if the software can't access it.

Any suggestions or words of wisdom that will get me through this? It surely would be appreciated!!!