Ftp server issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ftp server issues

I have 2008R2, using II7 7.5, i create the ftp site using a unused ip address, give it a virtual name, point to a folder using the default folder inetpub. select basic, check read and write, allow ssl, select basic,allow access to specified users, put a valid name in
    use unused ip address
    give virtual name
    point to the ftp folder inetpub
    select basic
    check read and write
    allow ssl
    allow access to specified users, use valid name.

i can't telnet the name or ping the ip??????????
    Last edited by Kobe 310; 3rd May 2012, 20:43.

Re: Ftp server issues

You sure the ftp service is running? Is the ip assigned from a local subnet or new subnet? Check the windows firewall?
    Last edited by auglan; 3rd May 2012, 20:42.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

yes, it's running, ip is from local subnet. I have another ftp site running on another R2, but it's using 6.0, i have no problems, just with this 7.0. Not sure what i'm supposed to do with the firewall either, that is more confusing in r2. I added port 21, i think. this really shouldn't be this fricken difficult. frustrating. like i said, i can set up 6.0 in seconds.

with the firewall i created a new rule, selected port, chose tcp, selected specific port, 21, selected allow connection, selected domain active and private, and gave it a name, not sure what else you can do????

Comment

Have you tried connecting to it with an ftp client or through a web browser. Pings are not a good indication of reachability sometimes as firewalls normally will block ICMP traffic. You could try and turn off the firewall all together just to test.

Comment

Remember that FTP uses ports 21 & 22, one for control info, one for traffic. If they're not both open it the service won't work.
          *RicklesP*
          MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

I think he meant to say ftp uses tcp port 20 and 21

20 - Data
            21 - Control

Assuming it active ftp

tcp port 22 is SSH
            Last edited by auglan; 4th May 2012, 20:04.

Comment

Oops! Missed by one. Shame on me!
              *RicklesP*
              MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

can you telnet to port 21, on the server, from the server itself? (ie telnet localhost 21)
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                X