Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote backup

Hi All,

After many tests I decided to simply collect daily a list of source code files using an encripted 7zip archive and FTP them on a remote server.

Now the question are:
    1) What ports need I to open on WinSrv2008R2?
    2) Open a port for outbound traffic will lower the machine security level?
    3) What about the scheduled task, should the user have particular privileges?

Thanks,

Alberto

Re: Remote backup

1) FTP is usually 20-21 but you can specify other ports if you need to
    2) Yes -- all open ports reduce security
    3) The FTP task will not require special permissions on the Win2008 box -- just read the directory. Not sure about the archiving task
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian,

Do you recommend to copy the backup file on a desktop machine share and to do the FTP put operation during day time? Will this leave the server security intact?

Thanks,

Alberto

Comment

Or maybe I could open the Outbound FTP port only to a specific IP? I definitely need this backup because in case of fire we lose everything.

Thanks,

Alberto

Comment

why wouldn't you just look at using a tried and trusted c;loud backup provider?

In general (and it depends on your organisation's security model) outbound FTP is allowed.
          you don't need to do anything special to be able to run an FTP CLIENT on a windows 2008 server.

If you want to have the ftp coming IN to your server, that's a whole different ball game.

But you're talking about initiating an FTP FROM the server, to something else.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

We own a remote windows server 2008 R2, we don't need a new one.

Were can I find instructions on how to allow FTP put to a specific IP for Windows Server 2008 R2 Firewall?

Thanks,

Alberto

Comment

Working...
            X