Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining a Domain Located "in the cloud"

Hello All,

I've used this site as a resource for a while now and i'm just now signing up. Anyway, I'm doing some trial work using [MOD EDIT]Advert Deleted[/MOD EDIT] cloud server. I'm trying to setup a Cloud Domain Controller. I have the server setup, dcpromo, etc. It's functioning fine locally. Here's the problem.... When i try to join a computer to the domain, I get the "network path cannot be found" which leads me to DNS. DNS on the server is pointed to itself (public IP), with forwarders to rackspace's DNS servers.

So I try to setup a Windows VPN. VPN connects, try to join, same problem.

Anybody care to point me in the proper direction?

Thanks,

HubTech
    Last edited by Ossian; 22nd April 2012, 07:39.

Re: Joining a Domain Located "in the cloud"

Trying to join the domain over the internet? You would have to expose your DNS zone hosting the AD records externally. Not such a good idea.

You could set up a VPN connection to join, but when you reboot your workstation you would not be able to login the domain unless the VPN tunnel was first established.

May I ask what is it you are trying to accomplish?
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

use a hosted server from [MOD EDIT]Advert Deleted[/MOD EDIT] as a domain controller and maybe a small file server.
      Last edited by Ossian; 22nd April 2012, 07:38.

Comment

are all your client computesr going to always be at the one site?

You could setup a site-to-site IPsec tunnel betwen your router at the site, and terminating on the cloud server.

what you would need to do if you want to avoid this, is setup your client workstation to point to the IP address of the server - this is why the dns isn't working.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
        X