DNS won't resolve several sites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS won't resolve several sites

Two DNS servers in our AD 2008 R2 domain won't resolve two important sites. We have not cleared the DNS cache on the servers yet. Anyone seen this one before?

Riptide

Re: DNS won't resolve several sites

Check the forwarders are properly configured?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You can test to see if the is an EDNS0 issue. If your DNS server is set up to use root hints, try configuring it to forward to your ISP's DNS or use a public DNS such as google's 8.8.8.8.

If the problem goes away when you are using forwarders, then it may be EDNS0 related. If so, check with your perimeter firewall to ensure that it supports EDNS0.
      JM @ IT Training & Consulting
      http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

First things first: can you give us the lay out of your network?

How many sites are working? Can I assume that each site contains its own AD domain controller? In the Active Directory zone, how many servers are listed as NS servers?

can you post the output of:
        nslookup domain.local

Comment

@Riptide Can you clarify please -- I assumed you were talking about external web sites, but supanatral assumes AD sites -- which is it?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Riptide View Post
            Two DNS servers in our AD 2008 R2 domain won't resolve two important sites. We have not cleared the DNS cache on the servers yet. Anyone seen this one before?

Riptide
            For external sites, I have had the same before and cleared the cache via DNS server console and have had to then clear the local cache of any Clients still having resolution issues. Prior to doing so, I would check servers and other Client's access to the same sites and of course their Primary DNS is set differently to see if it just a certain DNS server.

Comment

Working...
            X