Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Domain Functionality and I386 folder

Hi all,

Our domain FL is 2000 even though the one domain controller is running on Windows 2008.

Basically I am looking at promoting a member 2003 server to an additional DC just for resilience. I am aware that I need to bring the FL up to 2003.

My question is that obviously I have to run adprep/ forestprep, is the i386 folder the same for both 2003 and 2008. As I am assuming that I need to use the i386 folder for 2003 and not 2008 (the OS of my DC) to get my domain and forest prepared for a functionality level of 2003. Or does it not matter and I should use 2008 i386 folder?

I hope that makes sense

Thanks

Re: Domain Functionality and I386 folder

Since you indicated that you already have a 2008 DC, there is no need to run ADPREP prior to promoting a 2003 member server as a DC. The schema is already prepared. The domain functional level and the schema version is not the same thing.

You schema could be extended to support 2008 DCs, but you can still remain on a lower functional level. that is OK.

Also, when extending the Schema with adprep, just get it off of the media. For instance, when you are ready to introduce 2008 R2 server, use the ADPREP from the 2008 R2 media.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply

So even though our DC is running on 2008 OS, with a functionality level set at the default 2000, I don't need to run any adprep etc as the schema is already at 2008 ?

Is this correct ? just for confirmation

Comment

Yes, that is correct
        However you should consider raising the domain FL to 2003 Native -- you have nothing to lose by doing so
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Fully agree with Ossian's recommendation. by raising the functional level, you "unlock" new AD features. The reason for the functional levels is that when you bring a new DC online with a newer OS, it may bring new features to AD, such as the AD recycle bin, or fine grained password policies. Before you can use these features, you have to "lock" AD at a functional level to ensure that you do not promo a down-level DC that is not compatible with the new features.
          JM @ IT Training & Consulting
          http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies, I am aware that I should bring up the fl to 2003.

My predecessor installed the dc and left it at the default setting of 2000.

My plan is to raise the domain fl and forest fl to 2003 then promote a member server to become the second domain controller and make it a gc just for resilience.

Even though we are a small company I still want two dc's

Comment

Sounds like a good plan to me
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

You should find that going straight to raise the Forest Functional level that Domain and Forest will raise at the same time.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your advice

Comment

Working...
                  X