Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File sanitiser help!

Hi all,

A client of mine has asked if they can have something installed on their file server (Windows Server 2008 R2) and their AD/Exchange Server (Server 2003) that will ensure that *anything* that has been deleted cannot be recovered.

By anything they mean files from shared drives they delete and exchange emails that have been deleted by the users.

I have found a few tools but nothing that seems to be made for servers and nothing that incoporate exchange?

I know this is a long shot but it has become a requirement for the client.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by gerdy; 12th April 2012, 00:58.

Re: File sanitiser help!

What is the reason for this???

Do they run backups???

In exchnage you should be able to set the deleted items retention to nil which will not store anything a user deletes, they must still empty the delted items folder.

Files deleted from netowrk shares are like a shift+delete, ie it is deleted.

All this is pointless though as items can still be recovered from a backup.

This script will wipe the free space on the server, please use at your own discretion though as i have not and will not be testing anytime soon.

http://www.somacon.com/p336.php

Comment

I'm not really sure the reason for this. If they delete a file (assuming very sensitive data) they want it to be gone for good as theres a reason as to why the deleted it.

Backups are done but store offsite.

I have already set the retention to nil but im wondering whether there is still a chance for recovery?

Thanks for the script. Does it differentiate what's been deleted and what hasnt?

Thanks

Comment

Sorry i have no idea about the script. Please ensure it is well tested prior to using it in a production environment.

There is always a chance for recovery using backups, regardless of whether it is on tape or disk. You will always, if your backups are working correctly, be able to recover items up to the point of the last backup.

Are they aware that there may be government restrictions that may require them to keep the data for a certain period of time??

I think its all a crock if you ask me. While it can be done to a certain extent why the need for it do be done is beyond me.

What is a user accidentally deletes a file/folder that someone has bee working on that day and it has taken all day to be done.

Comment

I can only do what is asked of me. I will bring up the backup issue to the client but he is pretty certain of what he wants.

If a file is deleted it can generally be recovered with undelete or file recovery programs. However you can sanitise your disk so that it writes random 1's and 0's repeatedly, making the file extremely difficult to recover.

I'm looking for an application that will santise the disk space where files have been deleted so they cannot be recovered. Possibly on a schedule as well.

I will test this application later today at some point http://eraser.heidi.ie/ and let you know how I go.

Comment

Originally posted by gerdy View Post
            I can only do what is asked of me. I will bring up the backup issue to the client but he is pretty certain of what he wants.

If a file is deleted it can generally be recovered with undelete or file recovery programs. However you can sanitise your disk so that it writes random 1's and 0's repeatedly, making the file extremely difficult to recover.

I'm looking for an application that will santise the disk space where files have been deleted so they cannot be recovered. Possibly on a schedule as well.

I will test this application later today at some point http://eraser.heidi.ie/ and let you know how I go.
            Yeah i understand that but you need to make him/her aware of the risks involved in what they require.

Use that script, after testing of course, which could be run on a scheduled basis.

***EDIT***

Have a quick look at this if the script doesn't suit.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...se-utility.htm

The SDelete option looks pretty good and scriptable for a scheduled task. Ohh and best of all its free

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897443.aspx
            Last edited by wullieb1; 12th April 2012, 03:52. Reason: crap spelling and addition.

Comment

Thanks for all your help! I'll give these a go (after testing ofcourse) and let you know how I go.

Thanks again, appreciated!

Comment

Working...
              X