Problem restoring image from network share

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem restoring image from network share

Hi all, I'm using wbadmin commands to restore a Server 2008 full system backup which is stored on a share on a VM Win 7 client.

wbadmin start sysrecovery -version:04/07/2012-20:33 -backuptarget:\\desktop555\c -machine:server01 -quite.

I then get prompted to enter credentials, which I do and the job starts for a few seconds then It stops.
    The result is a long message which tells me to check one of 2 scenarios: 1) A partition or volume at the backup location is not mounted or does not have a drive letter associated to it. 2) The backup location is not formatted in NTFS format.
    Neither of these scenarios are true. The backup is on the root of the C drive and the drive is NTFS formatted.

This is a test network but I would like to find out what has gone wrong before I come across this in a live environment.
    I'm trying to do this procedure from the Server 2008 recovery environment as I want to recreate a situation where I cannot boot the server.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Busta; 8th April 2012, 12:49.

Re: Problem restoring image from network share

First, I think you want the final cm dline switch to read '-quiet', rather than '-quite'.

Second, just because your target PC has a C volume and it's formatted doesn't mean it is active.

Assume you can boot the failed server with a WinPE disk, run DISKPART. When it gives you a command prompt 'DISKPART >', enter "list vol" <enter>. If your C drive volume doesn't have an asterisk next to it, it isn't active and you can't deploy an image to it.

To make it active, from the same prompt, "sel vol x" <enter> where x is the vol number associated with your C drive from the 'list' command earlier. Diskpart should display a message telling you that volume is now selected. Type "active" <enter>. Now repeat the "list vol" and verify the asterisk is next to your C drvie vol #.

Try your deployment again and report results.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Rick, of course you are quite right. Your post made me realise I was being a bit slow. The whole time I was thinking the location of the backup image was the problem but the error message was referring to the target, which in the context of a restore is the destination where I'm trying to restore the image , in this case the server I'm restoring. Once I realised that I fixed up the server h/d using diskpart and all worked fine.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

No problem. Pls don't forget to add rep points!
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X