No announcement yet.

sample script for automating deployment

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sample script for automating deployment

I am to deploy windows7 using the wds.Can anyone please help post a ready to go sample script for for automating the wds deployment please?

Re: sample script for automating deployment

I'm sure one or two of the million plus results on will help you:,cf.osb&cad=b

Without more information from you (e.g. what sort of deployment, what sort of target computers, what variation in images etc) it is difficult to help more.

If you are using SCCM, you can go for "zero touch" deployment where no user intervention is needed at the reference machine or imaging stages.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: sample script for automating deployment

WSIM might come in very handy for you as it streamlines the process of creating XML files. The Step-by-Step: Basic Windows Deployment for IT Professionals provides some wonderful guidance on the process of creating an answer file with WSIM. Another great resource is Configure an Unattended Installation from TechNet.

Also I realize you are currently using WDS, however you may also want to consider the use of the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT). MDT is completely free and many find it to be extremely beneficial as it combines all of the official Microsoft tools (Sysprep, Windows Automated Installation Kit (Windows AIK), and Windows System Image Manager (WSIM)) into a single workbench interface that can help automate both the imaging and deployment process. MDT is also compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2003, 2008, and 2008 R2, which means learning one utility to do all of your deployments. Furthermore, it is exceptionally useful in creating “universal” images as it can easily add or remove drivers or applications from the deployment images.

Just as another tip, you can also use Audit Mode to customize the system should you need to perform customizations to the default profile. By allowing you to log into the system as Administrator, Audit Mode can significantly simplify the customization process. In order to customize the default profile in both Windows Vista and Windows 7 you will need to make your customizations in Audit Mode, and then run Sysprep with an answer file that has the copyprofile setting enabled.

As a final note, Build a better desktop image is a great post by Mitch Tulloch that provides more detailed information on desktop image management. I also highly recommend the Deliver and Deploy Windows 7 page on the Springboard site on TechNet for additional guidance with Windows 7 imaging and deployment.

Windows Outreach Team – IT Pro
      Last edited by winoutreach5; 9th April 2012, 22:17.