Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a replica from media question

Hi,

I have taken a system state backup using NTBackup of a Windows 2003 Server R2 PDC. Can I use this backup to build a Windows 2008 Server R2 Replica from media to avoid too much replication?

Thanks.

Re: Creating a replica from media question

The first thing you have to make sure of is that you have prepared the forest and domain for a 2008 R2 DC. If the schema has not been extended, you cannot introduce a 2008 R2 DC. Your schema version needs to be at 47 so that you can introduce a 2008 R2 DC.

On Petri's main site, he does have an article on how to add an additional DC (DCPROMO) from backup media.

http://www.petri.com/install_dc_from...erver_2003.htm

Now, personally, I have not tried to use backup media from a 2003 DC to setup a 2008 DC.
    JM @ IT Training & Consulting
    http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

Originally posted by [JM] View Post
      Now, personally, I have not tried to use backup media from a 2003 DC to setup a 2008 DC.
      Hey there thanks for your reply. Yes, I am specifically interested in that part.

Comment

Well I haven't tried building Windows 2008 DC from Windows media. Since Windows 2008 does not support Windows nt backup utility. its few task has to completed first in order to restore data backup from ntbackup in Windows 2008. I belive if you create media using ntdsutil in Windows 2003 DC , you can use it on Windows 2008. I agreed that create media on 2003 DC after extending ur existing AD for 2008 DC.

Comment

Originally posted by ahmer_sahab View Post
          Well I haven't tried building Windows 2008 DC from Windows media. Since Windows 2008 does not support Windows nt backup utility. its few task has to completed first in order to restore data backup from ntbackup in Windows 2008. I belive if you create media using ntdsutil in Windows 2003 DC , you can use it on Windows 2008. I agreed that create media on 2003 DC after extending ur existing AD for 2008 DC.
          I will test it and report the results for future reference.

Comment

Working...
          X