adding child domain in a new site via demand dial vpn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adding child domain in a new site via demand dial vpn

Hi everyone here in our company we are adding a new child domain in other branch we set up demand dial vpn on both sites and they are connected but when I try to promote the server as a child domain it tells me An Active Directory Domain Controller for the parent domain could not be contacted any help is appreciated

Re: adding child domain in a new site via demand dial vpn

Once the VPN is connected, can you ping the parent DC by both netbios and fqdn?
    If you can, have you tried using the fqdn at the DC Promo stage?

Basically, setting up a domain will not depend on the type of connection, as long as you can reach the target DC
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I can open shares on the remote server from both locations but I when I ping I get a request time out. I checked the firewall in the servers and icmp packets are allowed and I can ping the servers from the local network.

Comment

Hi
        I will start looking DNS first. See if you can access resources on both server by name and ip address
        I am sure if you need to deploy group policies client should able to ping server. In other words, icmp echo should be allowed between client and server. I am not sure it is true in case of joining computers to domain too. All my experience is hooking computer with domain controllers that were allowing icmp from interanet.
        check if you can ping other remote server from your branch office. i will suggest temporary eliminate any ping blockages. Errect again once you join your system . I think you can not ping thats why you can't join ( though not sure here). With DNS, ensure your client is pointing to right DNS server hosting correct records for machines.
        if your domain is Windows 2008, instead pounding your head too much, dab offline domain join.

Comment

The OP is trying to create a child DOMAIN over the VPN, so I presume the server is already a member of the parent domain.

I know you shouldnt have to, but I have found static routes on servers in both sites sometimes helps
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X