No announcement yet.

2008 R2 domain functional level

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 R2 domain functional level

We currently have 2 2003 DCs (one of which is the PDC emulator) and 4 2008 R2 DCs.Now, this may be a dumb question, but there's one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around. It sounds like a chicken/egg argument, but I remember reading somewhere that, in order to have a 2008 R2 server act as the PDC emulator, all other domain controllers have to be at least 2008. If this is true, then how do you make the transition. 2003 DCs won't function in a 2008 R2 DFL, so do I demote them first? What happens to the PDC emulator role, which is currently assigned to a 2003 DC? Or do you transfer the role first, then demote the 2003 DCs in a 2008 environment?

What comes first?

PS - as I've never raised a DFL before, is this something that should be done after-hours?

Re: 2008 R2 domain functional level

AFAIK the FMSOs are totally independant of the DFL -- certainly I have had at least one domain where there was a lag between moving the FSMO and retiring the old DCs

IMHO raising the level is non-disruptive -- throw the switch and wait for replication. Out of hours is not essential, but having a single DC off line in case you want to do a rollback is more important.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: 2008 R2 domain functional level

OK, I was under the impression that your PDC emulator couldn't be on a 2008 DC if you still had 2003 DCs out there, but apparently that's not the case. Thanks!