No announcement yet.

Migrating file/print server

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migrating file/print server

Hi everyone,

We are in the process of migrating a file/print server to a virtual platform, the only real difference in terms of OS is going from Server 2008 to 2008 R2. My main concern is having to remap the printers on all of our workstations. The print server role is already installed and configured with our existing printers and it works just fine.

What I'm trying to do is rename our existing server to server-old and the new one to server-prod and let all the clients continue to print the next day as if nothing changed. What information needs to be the same on the print server config in order to accomplish this?

For the file services, our files are currently stored on a NAS and configured via iSCSI initiator on the server. When I point the new server to the iSCSI target, I realized none of the files will have the same shared permissions. Basically I'll have to make a list of all AD users that are mapped to all of our network folders and add them one by one. Is there some file that I can copy from the old server to the new one to avoid this?

Re: Migrating file/print server

as long as all the permissions and print names etc are the same, it should be fine..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: Migrating file/print server

you can use the Microsoft file server migration toolkit,