Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• delays on welcome screen via RDP using domain accounts

The Problem
    We're experiencing frequent (but not always) 2-4 minute delay on welcome screen when connecting via Remote desktop session to any of 30+ servers.

We use RDP for remote server maintenance; however access requirements are frequent hence the delay is very frustrating.

The Environment
    • We run a windows active directory domain.
    • Most servers run Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (Std, web & enterprise).
    • Connecting from Windows 7 SP1 (enterprise) workstations.
    • Windows firewall is disabled on all servers for all network profiles.
    • Roaming profiles are not used.

When
    The problem started around the time we upgraded to SP1 (although I'm not convinced this is the cause).

Characteristics
    The issue occurs using domain accounts (with administrative privileges) via RDP;
    It doesn't seem to occur from console (using any account) or when using local accounts.

Testing
    Group Policies - we do have several domain and OU specific GPs. These are difficult to test primarily because the problem is intermittent; also disabling GPs affects monitoring & permissions.
    (GPs used include account/password/kerberos policies, local policies/security, public key policies, windows update (wsus), windows time, audit policies, event logs, system services, restricted groups, user rights assignment).

DNS - "dcdiag /test:dns" on our primary DC passes, but warns about AAAA records (we do not currently use ipv6 so don't believe this to be an issue).

Event logs - show normal logon information; however I can't see any related errors in System or Application logs (not sure where else to look).

Thanks
    I'm stumped; any troubleshooting suggestions, tips or steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Lyndon

Re: delays on welcome screen via RDP using domain accounts

same user accounts on same server(s) or is it totally random,

ie bob logs on to server1, and it's fine, then server2, and it's delayed, then server1 again, and it's delayed, then server3 and it's fine, and server2 and it's fine

or is it more like
    bob logs onto server1 and it's fine, server2 and it's delayed, server1 and it's fine, server2 and it's delayed

jane logs on to server2 and it's fine, tghen server1 and it's fine, then server2 and it's fine

Is it totally and completely random, or can you define any sort of pattern?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi tehcamel,

It seems totally random.

Any domain user can be delayed connecting to any server (or can likewise experience an immediate connection).
      The delay length even differs; typically between 2min and 4min stuck at welcome screen.

Any ideas?

Comment

reverse dns issue maybe.. ?
        although that doesn't make alot of sense..

might need to start putting some performance counters in place across them, just so you can get an idea
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks tehcamel,

I'm not closed to the idea, but don't think reverse dns will be the issue.
          Nonetheless next week I will work though the article at: technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc959303.aspx
          (unless someone here knows of a better MS DNS resource?)

I'm a bit lost when it comes to performance counters.
          What performance counters would you suggest I measure?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X