Sharing folder everyone asks for password

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharing folder everyone asks for password

I have several computers in my network that are not part of a domain, however i have a data server that is part of a domain. I have mapped drives from the computers to the data sever no issues. However, for the first time, i set "everyone" permissions to one folder, when i try to map to it, it asks me for a password. I don't have a username for these specific computer, i'm sure i could use mine, but would like to know why this is happening?

THANKS
    Last edited by Kobe 310; 19th March 2012, 20:42.

Re: Sharing folder everyone asks for password

Was the 'everyone' permission for the share, or for the NTFS security? They are different. Sharing makes it visible on the network, and Security locks it down. Standard practice is to set the Share permissions to everyone--full control, and then on the Security tab, set the NTFS permissions to how you really want to control things.

If you want to let everyone Read, set Share perms to everyone--full control, and the NTFS security to Everyone--Read & Execute. If you want folks to be able to add new or make changes to existing, then tick the 'Write' box under Security for Everyone. If you want them to be able to delete things, then tick 'Modify'. But don't give anyone but Admins 'Full Control', or you could find yourself locked out by some other user.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

The reason is that the EVERYONE security principal includes all users except anonymous. The EVERYONE security principal used to include anonymous until XP SP2. Use the ANONYMOUS security principal to grant anonymous logons access.... though this is a very bad practice.

For more info on well-know SIDs (including EVERYONE and ANONYMOUS) see this KB:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/243330
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
        But don't give anyone but Admins 'Full Control', or you could find yourself locked out by some other user.
        As an admin, if you get locked out you can always take back control. Also note that if a user creates a file or folder they will have full control of it.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

RicklesP

both sharing and security are set to everyone

JeremyW

are you saying ANONYMOUS because it is a non-domain user, and the share doesn't recognise the name?

thanks for the link, never saw that before.

Comment

i thought i figured it out...... I was selecting "everyone" on the domain, instead of switching the location to the hostname itself, then selecting "everyone" that worked.......went to another computer, and it didn't work???????????I have full privelages like you said, and just read and execute on the security.
            Last edited by Kobe 310; 20th March 2012, 18:15.

Comment

JeremyW:

Yeah, I realise that an admin can take back control, but I thought it best to mention the possible problem to the OP simply to be sure he/she was aware, in case they hadn't thought about that yet.

Kobe 310:
              Wherever the source of 'everyone' is, that's the security catalogue that is queried when an authentication takes place. If one PC's 'everyone' is used, that only includes users who are recognised by the sec'y cat ON THAT PC. If another PC's users tries to connect, the first PC doesn't recognise the foreign user so it doesn't work.

By all means, try the 'anonymous' user. My environment is a military one so we don't think in workgroup and domain users accessing things--it's domain or nothing.
              *RicklesP*
              MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Kobe 310 View Post
                are you saying ANONYMOUS because it is a non-domain user, and the share doesn't recognise the name?
                Pretty much. The user, from the non domain computer, is unable to authenticate against the domain so the domain doesn't know who it is. But I highly recommend setting up an account for the user to use and joining the computer to the domain if it's possible.

I would not use ANONYMOUS unless you absolutely have to. ( and I can't think of any situation I've encountered where I need to do that)
                Regards,
                Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
                  Yeah, I realise that an admin can take back control, but I thought it best to mention the possible problem to the OP simply to be sure he/she was aware, in case they hadn't thought about that yet.
                  Cool, thanks.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                  X