No announcement yet.

DNS on Server 2008 R2

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNS on Server 2008 R2

I am deploying a new 2008 R2 server and have read and watch many youtube videos on setting up the DNS and DHCP on Server 2008 R2.

I don't have an issue with the DHCP as all of the Windows 7 clients are getting the correct network settings from the server.

The problem is with the DNS. I configured the using the wizard but the server and client machines keep saying they can't see the internet.

Should I be adding the external DNS servers (the ones from my ISP) into the DNS server somehow? How else would the DNS know how to resolve external IP addresses.

The funny thing is that when I first installed the DHCP and DNS server, everything seemed to work but now I can't get any of the machines to see the Internet without hard coding my ISP DNS servers into the network settings.

PS. What should the IPv4 "Scope" and "Server" options be for under the DHCP server.

Please help

Re: DNS on Server 2008 R2

External DNS (the ones from your ISP ) should be added into the Forwarders tab on your DNS Server.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	dns-forwarder.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	466474

DHCP Scope options

IP Scope should include:
    003 - Default Gateway
    006 - DNS Servers
    015 - DNS Domain Name
    044 - If running WINS
    046 - Also if running WINS

You obviously need to set an IP Range. Suggest you leave an Exclusion Range so you can add managed switches, network printers etc to the Reservations and of course Server and other devices that require a Static IP also in the Exclusion range.
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Thanks biggles77

No problem. Post back if you have any additional questions.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

on the DNS Thread in 2008 R2 how would one set the DNS to see another RODC in another network? they are 'connected' via a Slow slow link but i have no problems seeing ip's from my workstation if i add the route to my machine or my network.
          i have two different domains and would like to join them. one is on 192.168.1.x and the other is 192.168.2.x
          i'm due to get a replacement server in the .2.x network which is presently on 2003 but will go to 2008r2

thanks for any input.

Sounds as if you need Conditional forwarders. This will be the Domain name of the other domain and trhe IP address of a DNS server for the other domain.

Sounds as if you already have the IP routing in place. You then need to look at Domain Trusts. If the Forest Functional level allows it, look at a Forest level Trust.

hi, yes IP routing is working great. these two domains are different yus.local 192.168.1.x and yus2.local 192.168.2.x
              both have DC's of course, one being 2003 and one being 2008r2.