Windows Deployment Services - need x86 Capture boot image

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Deployment Services - need x86 Capture boot image

I have some older (very old) computers running WinXP sp3 that I would like to create a WDS image for. I took one of the computers, set it up "just so", and ran sysprep.

However, when I booted to the network PXE and connected to my Windows Deployment server, it never gave me the menu asking whether I wanted to perform a setup or a Capture - it went straight to the setup.

Looking on my WDS server, in the Boot Images, I see a setup for x86, a setup for x64, and a capture for x64. But no x86 capture. I suspect (strongly) that this is the reason.

I inherited this server from a former admin, so I will admit that I am unfamiliar with setting up or configuring WDS (only using it).

So how do I create a x86 capture image??

Re: Windows Deployment Services - need x86 Capture boot image

You create a Capture Image from the Boot Image you're already using. In the WDS console, right-click on the x86 boot image file name and select the menu option 'Create Capture Image' (or words to that effect.) A new WIM file will be created on the server hard drive that must be imported into the WDS console in that same location as the x86 and x64 boot images are. Now you have an x86 Capture image to boot your client to, so that you can capture the sealed, sysprep image.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
      You create a Capture Image from the Boot Image you're already using. In the WDS console, right-click on the x86 boot image file name and select the menu option 'Create Capture Image' (or words to that effect.) A new WIM file will be created on the server hard drive that must be imported into the WDS console in that same location as the x86 and x64 boot images are. Now you have an x86 Capture image to boot your client to, so that you can capture the sealed, sysprep image.

Ah - that worked! Thank you!

Comment

You're more than welcome. Glad I could help.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X