Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic restart on WSUS clients problem

Dear all

I have installed a WSUS server with Active Directory. I have enabled group policy in Windows Update
    "No Auto-Restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic updates installations". But still windows
    is restarting after installation of updates on clients and server itself . How to resolve this issue thanks.

Re: Automatic restart on WSUS clients problem

My experience has been that, if WSUS deploys updates automatically, a needed restart will happen, regardless. I'm guessing that, if the users can't refuse the installation, they can't stop any needed restart.

You should have different WSUS policies defined for your user PCs vs your servers. Your user PCs might be updated out-of-hours by setting group policy to force updates at, say 4 a.m. when no one is around, so that the unattended installs can force a restart if needed without affecting the users. Never give the users a chance to refuse updates, otherwise you have no control of your network's config.

Servers should only be updated manually, at need, so that you as an admin can say 'No' to the interactive dialog from the updates asking to reboot. Then simply set a scheduled task on that server to restart at whatever time works for your organization.
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

I have WSUS configured not to restart a PC if anyone is logged on and it works for me. Here is my configuration:

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8186/wsusgpo1az1.jpg
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
        I have WSUS configured not to restart a PC if anyone is logged on and it works for me. Here is my configuration:

http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8186/wsusgpo1az1.jpg
        Mine is the same and i've never experienced a user having issues of restarts.

Updates are or should be installed on restart when a user restarts the machine

Comment

Working...
        X