Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 R2 Terminal Services

Hi

I am upgrading a server at the weekend from 2003 to 2008. The server is not a domain controller it just services 10 remote access sessions via TS and 5 local users. I intend to replicate what I have at the moment and set it up as a work group server. I will also be installing SQL Server 2008

1, Is this possible, DC and AD is not mandatory on 2008
    2, Where do I set users up and enable the group for remote access via TS ?
    3, Where do I add the TS and Device licenses?
    4, Are there any issues wit installing SQL that you know of

Many thanks in advance

Regards

John

Re: Windows 2008 R2 Terminal Services

hi
    if you want Domain than you have active AD first.
    TS licensing will get long with 2008 O.S when you ordered min 2. if you need more you have order.
    yes you install SQL Server 2008

Comment

Hi

I don't need a domain, i will just set the server up as a stand alone server

I do have 15 TS server licenses, my question was how are they installed, does W2008 still use the license manager ?

John

Comment

1, Is this possible, DC and AD is not mandatory on 2008 - Yes this is possible

2, Where do I set users up and enable the group for remote access via TS ? - On a non domain joined server you would set them up on the server itself

3, Where do I add the TS and Device licenses? - You need to install the TS/RDS License Server role and add the TS/RDS CAL's there

4, Are there any issues wit installing SQL that you know of - I wouldn't recommend installing SQL on the TS/RDS server as you'll probably have resource contention between SQL and the TS/RDS user sessions

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          1, Is this possible, DC and AD is not mandatory on 2008 - Yes this is possible

2, Where do I set users up and enable the group for remote access via TS ? - On a non domain joined server you would set them up on the server itself

3, Where do I add the TS and Device licenses? - You need to install the TS/RDS License Server role and add the TS/RDS CAL's there

4, Are there any issues wit installing SQL that you know of - I wouldn't recommend installing SQL on the TS/RDS server as you'll probably have resource contention between SQL and the TS/RDS user sessions
          Hi Thanks

For Q2 does Remote Operators still exist in Windows 2008 ?

For Q4 It currently runs both TS and SQL on W2003 32 Bit hence upgrade to 64Bit 2008 and 32GB memory upgrade

Comment

Q2 - There is no Remote Operators group that I'm aware of. The users need to be members of the Remote Desktop Users group

Q4 - OK. Maybe there won't be any resource contention then.

Comment

There is no upgrade possible from a 32 bit to 64 bit os. It is a reinstall
              gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X