Windows Server 2008 R2 backup issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows Server 2008 R2 backup issue

I set up scheduled backup of two partitions in Windows Server Backup (OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1) in order to backup Exchange Server 2010 SP1. That was in August last year, but WSB retains only limited number of backup copies (usually 15 copies) needed for restore.

I do not have a clue what is happening. I should have had around 180 backup copies available since August.

Re: Windows Server 2008 R2 backup issue

Originally posted by boxikg View Post
    I set up scheduled backup of two partitions in Windows Server Backup (OS: Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1) in order to backup Exchange Server 2010 SP1. That was in August last year, but WSB retains only limited number of backup copies (usually 15 copies) needed for restore.

I do not have a clue what is happening. I should have had around 180 backup copies available since August.
    Why would you have 180 copies of backup when you said wsb retain only 15 copies.
    Would you be please more specific as what you are trying to do? and what is going wrong?? Don't take it as a wrong way Members can help you on this site but need more info on the problem to find the solution.

Comment

Backup is scheduled to run every day at 2:00 am, considering that I set up scheduled backup in mid August, up to now I should have around 180 backup copies (1 copy for each day from August till today), but I have only 18 backup copies available for restore operation.

Simply said, I do not have all backup copies available for restore. WSB for sure should not have limited number of backup copies, otherwise how someone would, for example, restore data from 1 month ago.
      Last edited by boxikg; 21st February 2012, 13:12.

Comment

Isn't that just a simple backup disk space limit issue?

Comment

All partitions have plenty of free disk space, and, by the way, today WSB shows that 16 backup copies are available for restore, oldest dating back from 7.2.2012. and latest from this morning.

Really annoying situation!

I can not believe this is a bug in Windows Server 2008 R2, I understand that WSB may truncate old backup copies when free disk space is low, but I have more than 120 GB of free disk space on partition dedicated for backup. Maybe the size of .vhd backup file is limited to some size so WSB truncates "old" parts of .vhd file in order to keep .vhd file size under limit. Since I set up backup of two partitions, I have two .vhd backup files, one with 20 GB size and the other with 115 GB size. Honestly, all above mentioned is unlikely to be the cause of my problem, but until I implement dedicated backup software like Backup Exec 2012, I have to solve this.
          Last edited by boxikg; 22nd February 2012, 09:03.

Comment

May be you selected incr. backup. if i not wrong.

Comment

it looks like wbadmin doesn't allow adjustment to retention period.
              I don't think it takes drive space into consideration, but just an inbuilt retention period.

there's others who have arranged a script solution to manage their retention..
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X