Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• user profile to school students

Hi,

I'm installing a new server in a school and I need to create a profile to the students, and I want to have an idea which limitations should I configure in that profile. Like block run, cmd, control pane etc. And whats is the best method to implement that, policies? The server is win2008r2 std.

Thanx for all the ideas.

NiTo

Re: user profile to school students

Best implemented through group policies, certainly, but what to block depends on your students and school policies

if I were you, I would go through options with the management team and get THEM to sign off a policy you will implement -- if you don't, some little b***er will do something they shouldn't and YOU will get the blame!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi not so long ago i did some consultancy for a school here in the Netherlands, and also facing the nice task locking down the computers for the students and installing some new servers.

Turned out as mission impossible cause there were strickt rules and policys there but students always try things out.

so we did 2 things
      first we set out some lockdown policys with school management and implemented this.

Second we installed a reborncard on the students pc`s and this is a gem, whatever they do with the computer after a restart it is back in it`s default state

see this Link

Good Luck

Comment

If not using win7 I would suggest looking into SteadyState free tool from MS.
        There are other commercial software as well like Deepfreeze.
        A hardware solution alternative to the problem is costly and more labour intensive imo.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

The school board have no clue what they want and leave it up to me, can someone advise me a list of things to be blocked?

mhoogev, Where did you get such cards in nl?

Comment

IMHO (see above) the school board NEED to have a clue, and you need to force them to make decisions. As indicated, kids have a nasty habit of getting around security settings, and YOU will be at fault unlesss you can demonstrate you set up an agreed policy.

As to what settings, it depends on the school (age of pupils, type of school, country...)
            For a primary school, a lot more restrictions than a senior school.

But in general, I would consider a "lock everything unless there is a case to open it" policy.
            You will also need to consider internet filtering.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Also, having worked at a school at one time in my career, it's good to get some of the students to give you some background information. You start to get to know the backdoors. You then make it worth their while for those students.

Comment

Originally posted by nitoglycerine View Post
                The school board have no clue what they want and leave it up to me, can someone advise me a list of things to be blocked?

mhoogev, Where did you get such cards in nl?
                Try this link

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                  IMHO (see above) the school board NEED to have a clue, and you need to force them to make decisions. As indicated, kids have a nasty habit of getting around security settings, and YOU will be at fault unlesss you can demonstrate you set up an agreed policy.

As to what settings, it depends on the school (age of pupils, type of school, country...)
                  For a primary school, a lot more restrictions than a senior school.

But in general, I would consider a "lock everything unless there is a case to open it" policy.
                  You will also need to consider internet filtering.
                  I would say the other way around My personell experience is that the seniors try to hack the system

Comment

But seniors may need more access for course related work
                    Agree they will be more knowledgable hackers, but may also respond to reasons not to (voice of hope over experience...)
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

It may be different for some places but having worked in a school, it is no different than any other computer systems and obviously varies from one place to the other.

As a network Administrator you just asses the needs of the school and setup the system based on those needs.
                      In general, being an educational institution you have to think of the fact that if you restrict the settings too much the kids won't learn much about the systems. My approach would be to have a subject based policy. i.e for the IT labs try to make more relaxed and more features and then reset them to default settings at the end of the session.
                      That approach applies to teachers as well. There is no need for the history teacher to have access to the command prompt for instance.
                      Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

thanks for the advise, guys

Comment

Working...
                        X