Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a shared folder with certain rights suddenly gives out full access

Theres a folder call IT, and sub folders say Microsoft, Linux, Mac OS

The problem I have is I have been using this server for many months now and no changes was made to the server but why is it suddenly whereby I have access to say e.g. Microsoft in IT folder but I also can view Linux and Mac OS and have full control in the folders.

Why is it so?
    Last edited by phewie; 16th February 2012, 08:29.

Re: a shared folder with certain rights suddenly gives out full access

Hard to say without knowing what permissions you have in place there!

Can you use this tool to run a report for NTFS permissions and then try to post here.
    http://www.cjwdev.co.uk/Software/NtfsReports/Info.html
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
      Hard to say without knowing what permissions you have in place there!

Can you use this tool to run a report for NTFS permissions and then try to post here.

I am using the free edition. Which do u want me to post?

Comment

double post.
        Last edited by phewie; 12th February 2012, 03:49.

Comment

Mainfolder: Projects
          Have the following Groups: Creator Owner, System, Network Group, System Group, IT Group, Domain Admins, Administrators, Users

Sub Folder in Projects: SAP
          Have the following Groups: Creator Owner, System, Mr. Apple(users), Mr. Blackberry(users), Mr. Cloud(users), Mr. Derrick(users), Domain Admin, Administrators, users

My Own User id: Mr. Electric
          Have the following Groups containing himself: Domain user, IT Admin, IT Group, IT help, Local Admin, Network Group, System Group

So I do not have permission in SAP but I am able to have FC over it. Why?

Comment

I reckon its a group permission that your picking up.

Comment

Free edition of WHAT?
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Free edition of WHAT?
                free edition of the tool which l4ndy posted

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                  I reckon its a group permission that your picking up.
                  then what is it?

Comment

Can you please go back to the first post in this thread and explain your problem -- I think you have edited it and removed some vital information
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by phewie View Post
                      then what is it?
                      You tell me.

Search through your group memberships and find the relevant group where you are getting the permission from.

This also includes nested groups.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                        Can you please go back to the first post in this thread and explain your problem -- I think you have edited it and removed some vital information
                        Hi,

Sorry I think i accidentally clicked on edit.

Theres a folder call IT, and sub folders say Microsoft, Linux, Mac OS

The problem I have is I have been using this server for many months now and no changes was made to the server but why is it suddenly whereby I have access to say e.g. Microsoft in IT folder but I also can view Linux and Mac OS and have full control in the folders.

Why is it so?

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                          You tell me.

Search through your group memberships and find the relevant group where you are getting the permission from.

This also includes nested groups.
                          I have checked. nothing at all ...

Is there any freeware that I can use?

Comment

Can you please jot down your group memberships and the exact permission on the 3 affected folders and the parent folder.

Comment

Hi,

problem solved. it was an application that grants user rights full access.

thanks for all the efforts and solutions.

Comment

Working...
                              X