Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows 2008 TS CALs with Windows Server 2008 R2?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2008 TS CALs with Windows Server 2008 R2?

I have been researching this and cannot get a clear answer. I set up a server for the first time using Windows Server 2008 R2. I thought I needed CALs so i purchased a 5 user CALs. Apparently, I purchased TS CALs because I only see a 14 digit ID rather than a 25 digit RDS CAL. Can I use my TS CAL for my server? I want to have about 4 concurrent connections into my machine using remote desktop. Or do I have to buy RDS CALs?

I am pretty confused and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Re: Windows 2008 TS CALs with Windows Server 2008 R2?

Server 2008 R2 CALs are not the same as other versions of Windows Server so you will need the appropriate ones.

I recommend you contact Microsoft and get an authoritative answer before you try installing the CAL -- that way you should be able to change them if needed.

Note also user CALs are not the same as RDS CALs -- user CALs are for accessing the server (e.g. file or printer shares) whereas RDS CALs are for using it as a "terminal" server
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Sounds like I need to get an RDS CAL. Does Microsoft have a specific contact dealing with CALs? What would be the best way to contact them?

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

I also read this:

"In Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008 TS CALs and Windows Server 2008 RDS CALs will be treated as equal in all respects. So, if a customer has a Windows Server 2008 TS CAL, it will allow the same functionality (connection, experience etc.) as a Windows Server 2008 RDS CAL."

I have an URL but I am not allowed to post it.

It sounds like my CALs might work but doesn't get into how to install them if they do.

Comment

Not sure which country you are in, but your local MS office is a good place to start -- get the answer in writing, though

I didn't know that about the TS/RDS CALs -- unusual for MS
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

MS office? I don't know if I have every heard of that and I live in the US. I'll look around.

Comment

http://www.microsoft.com/about/compa...s/default.aspx
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

thank you for your help.

Comment

If I purchased one 1 user RDS CAL, I assume that I will be limited to one concurrent connection? I was under the impression that this limit is a little flexible since microsoft does not monitor it. Can someone please explain?

Comment

Anyone? Is a 1 user remote desktop CAL a hard limit or is it soft?

Comment

You can talk to Microsoft about it or your reseller. That would be the best way to make sure you get what you need.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Is it that I am asking something that might be illegal or prohibited? If a 1 user CAL should only be used by 1 user, then that is what I will do. I guess I need to buy a 5 user CAL.

Comment

I think MS only sell TS CALs in blocks of 5!

CALs are tied to users, so 2 users (non concurrent) = 2 CALs
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

non concurrent? So if I purchase 5 RDS CALs, they cannot connect at the same time? I am so confused. I don't know why they make this so complicated.

Comment

Surely that is obvious... $$$

Sorry, I meant each CAL is assigned to a user, so 5 CALs = 5 TS users, concurrent or not, rather than 5 CALs allowing any 5 users to be logged on at a time

IIRC TS CALs are enforced, so you cannot abuse them
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X