Print server change

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Print server change

First - hello! I am a new user here and have found this website to always be outstanding when looking for answers to technical questions. Thank you for this great meeting place!

Next - my question is...we have 1 main print server that is running Server 2003 - all of the users PCs point to PServer1\PrinterX for their printer. They can just browse and pick and add any printer they need to print.

My question is...we have a parallel print server running that has all of the same printers, and it's running Server 2008. Say PServer2

If we were to take down PServer1 and rename PServer2 to be PServer1, rejoin to the domain, reset account, etc. Would all of the clients who were pointing to PServer1 still work? Or would they have to again browse the new and improved PServer1 and re-establish that connection?

Thank you for any thoughts, even if you don't know for sure - just your best guess is appreciated.

Re: Print server change

The client connection to the printer may lost. but your clients will be able to use the same printer without configuring a Printer because you have duplicated the real one.
    Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
    MCITP [AD]

Comment

Why not use Group Policy to change the printers to the new server?
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Theoretically it should work, however it depends on a few factors ie what client OS are you using, what platform, what printers, drivers.
        If you make sure you have migrated all the relevant drivers, do some tests on various clients and then take the old server off the domain and join the new one to the domain with the old name.
        Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Working...
        X