• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roaming Profiles / Windows 2008 server

Hi Everyone,

My Current setup ;
    1. Windows 2008 server
    2. 15+ workstations (all of them windows 7)
    3. Active directory
    4. DNS
    5. TS

When I created roaming profiles environment, i used the active directory profile path section and redirected to shared location. This part is working fine, all the data is being synced.
    I have not made any changes to folder redirection in GPO

I noticed few issues that i'm not sure how to handle;

1. Profiles are loading slow, even small ones ~ 50mb;
    The network is 100MB (some of the network is 1GB)
    Profile is fairly small

2. User is able to install an application, not sure how it was changed, earlier only it was available with local administrator now any user can do it. How can I restrict from the users to install applications.

3. I see multiple folders are created for the same user on a local machine, example;
    user1.localnetwork
    user1.localnetwork.001
    user1.localnetwork.002
    Any idea why it happens and how to avoid from multiple folders to get created on a local machine for the same user?

4. Application data folder, should it be part of the roaming profile ?
    Local
    Local Low
    Roaming
    I install everything on the local machine and would like each user to have an access to each application

Should the Appdata folder be part of the roaming profiles or should it be excluded using GPO ?

Thank you in advanced for your assistance!

Re: Roaming Profiles / Windows 2008 server

Roaming profiles is part of the solution, now look at Folder Redirection. In Group Policy, set the user's My Docs, Desktop, and Application Data folders to be redirected. This means that they are not copied down during logon. The user sees them in Explorer as normal, but nothing sits on the local PC.

You'll want to set up a separate share for the Redirects, same as you already have for the Profiles.

Speed issues may be down to having the roaming profiles stored on the single server, along with everything else. Maybe dividing up the workload with a second server would help?
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Roaming profiles in Windows 7 have a considerable number of improvements. A few months back, I set up Roaming User profiles for Windows XP and Windows 7 users. As you have Windows 7 only, I would recommend the following.

Review this article.

http://www.grouppolicy.biz/2010/08/b...irtualization/
      • Setup folder redirection as already recommended
      • Test and Pilot the Roaming Profiles without redirecting the AppData folder. Some applications can be effected and if leaving the AppData folder part of the profile doesn't cause any performance issues, leave it as it is
      • Use the article to create the recommended file shares. Note that there is a clever way of doing the Windows 7 redirected folders and Roaming Profiles, so they are in the same share.
      • Use the article to create the recommended Group policies
      • Optionally, you could consider a Group Policy to apply Roaming profiles to users of specific workstations as oppose to setting the Roaming profile at the AD user account level, something new in Windows 7. However, they would also apply to administrators logging on and I personally have never used it

Comment

Thank you for the suggestions. Maybe its a stupid question but i'm trying to understand the folder redirection stuff. If i will setup folder redirection for my documents, does it mean that redirected folders will always stay on the server and the user will pull the data always from the server without it being copied to the local machine ?

Can anyone help with section #3 ?

3. I see multiple folders are created for the same user on a local machine, example;
        user1.localnetwork
        user1.localnetwork.001
        user1.localnetwork.002
        Any idea why it happens and how to avoid from multiple folders to get created on a local machine for the same user?

Comment

Originally posted by dimanaz View Post
          Thank you for the suggestions. Maybe its a stupid question but i'm trying to understand the folder redirection stuff. If i will setup folder redirection for my documents, does it mean that redirected folders will always stay on the server and the user will pull the data always from the server without it being copied to the local machine ?

Can anyone help with section #3 ?

user1.localnetwork
          user1.localnetwork.001
          user1.localnetwork.002
          usually the Documents folder contents will be copied to %USERPROFILE% on the local machine where the user logged in. and once he logged off the changes made will be written back to original location.

3 > I guess this is because multiple 'user1' users active on different terminals.
          Mohan Mathew[VU3MMU]
          MCITP [AD]

Comment

Sorry, but the first part is just wrong.
            redirected folders STAY on a server and are NOT copied back to machines (unless offline files are enabled). The goal is to reduce network traffic.

Roaming profiles ARE copied.
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X