Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why windows 7 is faster than windows 2008 R2 ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why windows 7 is faster than windows 2008 R2 ?

Hi,

I've installed on the same computer windows 7 then formatted it and installed windows 2008 R2.

I see that windows 2008 R2 is slower.

Why windows 7 is faster than windows 2008 R2 on a PC ?

Is there something in windows 2008 R2 architecture that becomes slower on PC ?

CPU - Intel i5 3.2 Ghz
    RAM - 12 GB
    OS - Both 64 Bit

Thanks
    Last edited by askms; 5th January 2012, 12:16.

Re: Why windows 7 is faster than windows 2008 R2 ?

Performance wise, Server Software don't tend to score well with Desktop grade hardware if supported at all.
    Whilst convenient, can't bank on very good performance.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Its all going to depend on what services you have enabled on the OS, pagefile configuration, etc...

These are two different operating systems so they are not installed in the exact same manner, nor are the roles and features identical.

Its also possible to have a server OS perform better than a desktop installation. Again, it depends on how you fine tune the OS.
      JM @ IT Training & Consulting
      http://www.itgeared.com

Comment

All Server OS have many additional services running background which a desktop don't need and neither do they have ... This makes Server OS slow compared to Desktop...

e.g. in Windows 2008 IIS must be installed by default whereas you need to enable same in Windows 7 (if it has that > Home)

Comment

while it is true that servers often have additional services running in the the background, it is completely incorrect that IIS is installed by default.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
            while it is true that servers often have additional services running in the the background, it is completely incorrect that IIS is installed by default.

Probably you are right, Thanks for pointing that out

Comment

Originally posted by honable_B View Post
              All Server OS have many additional services running background which a desktop don't need and neither do they have ... This makes Server OS slow compared to Desktop...

e.g. in Windows 2008 IIS must be installed by default whereas you need to enable same in Windows 7 (if it has that > Home)
              I agree with the first part, but IIS is NOT a mandatory part of Server 2008 -- it is a role that can be installed.

Under Computer Properties -- Advanced Tab -- Performance, there are options on both OSes to optimise for Background tasks or Programs. Guess which each OS is set to...

From experience, with a bit (lot) of tweaking, Server 2008r2 can perform better than Win7 for many things
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Easy answer :-
                Server OS= Headquarter (lots of people working coming and going you know what I mean.

Windows User OS= Branch or a single field guy.

I hope it explains it.

Comment

Not really
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Bien Posey has written a concise series of short articles that describe server hardware and explain how it differs from desktop PC hardware. If you read them you will also understand why the OS's for each are therefore designed to run on the respective hardware.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...ned-Part1.html

Server operating systems are designed for heavy duty workloads and require appropriate (durable, reliable and sometimes high-spec) hardware to function as they were intended to.
                    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

The Windows Server kernel was built around maximizing efforts for background interference. The Windows Server team did not expect much interference in the operating system from a GUI standpoint. In other words, they didn't structure it so that the server admins could play World of Warcraft all day on it while it is serving up DHCP addresses! HAHA. Windows Server BY DEFAULT is maximized for this process. LESS interference from foreground applications and MORE dedicated resources to running background processes.

R2 was also built in energy consumption in mind, especially with small businesses. A feature of Windows 7 you may be familiar with - core parking - was actually built with Servers in mind. Originally it was just supposed to be available on Windows Server platform only but then Microsoft decided to make it available on client as well. Consuming less watts is bigger concern for large businesses than small residential homes anyways.

Keeping with this theme of "energy saving" you are probably not surprised to hear that Intel's Turbo Boost is DISABLED by default on R2. When R2 is being installed for the first time, the power scheme is set to balanced to make the server more energy efficient out of the box when it is installed.

You could have improved the performance of your R2 machine by setting the Power Options plan to HIGH PERFORMANCE. This would have effectively enabled Intel Turbo Boost on your core i5 and you would have seen an instant performance in application response time of 20% or so.

Processor priority on server is dedicated to background, not foreground. By adjusting your processor scheduling from "Background services" to "Programs" you could have shaved a couple more seconds off your boot time.

Even doing all of this, while the performance of the OS may be more equal to that of 7, it will still feel slow because R2 lacks the necessary workstation functions that are available in 7. Performance-wise when I first configured R2 on my desktop the boot time was slow as hell. Once the machine was booted up for a few minutes I noticed the performance leveled off and it was pretty much the same on either OS. I came to the conclusion that it was just my perception that R2 was slower than 7 when in fact it was because R2 was not properly configured to work as a workstation. What am I talking about? In a short explanation:

-Superfetch
                      -Readyboost
                      -Boot Optimization
                      -Equal configuration between the two (same programs installed)

Your perception that R2 is slower is skewed by the fact that by default R2 was not meant to be interfered with that much. The upcoming release of Windows Server, which I will dub "Windows Server 8" comes with an optional GUI! The GUI is completely optional. This means that the Windows Server team expects most Administration to occur remotely or via command-line. If you are going to fairly compare the performance of both machines, they must be configured in like terms.

Anyways, once I had performed the necessarily workstation adjusts the complete opposite effect was seen. R2 was actually a tad faster (~7 seconds faster at booting up) than 7!

I guarantee you if you do the following:

1. Enable Superfetch
                      2. Enable Readyboost
                      3. Enable Boot Optimization
                      4. Enable Turbo Boost

And your machine will perform excellent on R2.

My boot time on R2 is ridiculously fast. Try sub 20 seconds. Is it any faster than 7 after booting up? Not really. It is the same.

Comment

that;s a really excellent first post...
                        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

@tehcamel, Thanks!

One of my favorite Microsoft tech fellows is Mark Russinovich. He was the one that pointed out that the kernel differences between Server 2008 R2 and 7 are minimal. In fact, the performance should be relatively the same. As a matter of fact the Microsoft development team used the pitfall of Vista as a template on what users perceive as fast or slow. The relativity of time does not change, but depending on what we are doing, time can appear to be going faster or slower. Does time really speed up or slow down? No it does not. To give you a perfect example let's say you have two like machines.

Machine A: Gateway with an i7, 8GB ram, 1TB HDD, Windows 7
                          Machine B: Dell with an i7, 8GB, 1TB, Windows 7

Machine A takes a few seconds to POST while it is initializing RAID configuration.
                          Machine B is very snappy and posts within a few seconds.

As soon as both machines boot into the desktop, you launch task manager to see the "up time" of the machine.

Machine A shows an up time of 23 seconds.
                          Machine B shows an up time of 28 seconds.

Although Machine B took 5 seconds longer to boot into the desktop your perception is that Machine B is the faster machine because it POSTS ridiculously fast.

This is how the behavior of running a default state of R2 as a desktop. It may take it a minute or so to process all the background services (BECAUSE ITS A FRIGGIN SERVER LOL) but once it's up and running the performance level is the same.

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                            As of now my OS is Window 7 but im content what i had

Comment

Working...
                            X