Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the use of LOCAL PATH in user_properties...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the use of LOCAL PATH in user_properties...

Hi all,
    I am using Windows Server 2008...

I have assigned Local path to user as "c:/profiles/%username%"

profile folder is shared to Everyone....

But i dont see any changes either in server side or client side...i can see this path only in user attribute list...What is the use of the LOCAL PATH?...

Re: What is the use of LOCAL PATH in user_properties...

What exactly are you trying to achieve?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

I want to know what is the use of Local Path...Where are we using that shared path in the client(user perspective)....
      Last edited by navarajan; 29th December 2011, 11:47.

Comment

Roughly, the paths in the environment variables are locations which will be searched automatically for a file, without entering the full path each time.

In this case, I think you are trying to set a profile path, so the user profile is at that location. If so, the proof will be the profile is in that location so C:\users\Fred, C:\users\Bob etc. but this will not be created until the user has logged on and then off again.
        If you can explain a bit more what overall result you are trying to achieve, and how/where you have set the path variable, we may be able to help you further.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

hi Ossain...

I have created HomeFolder for user01 by connect option( connect "Z" to \\servername\%username% )...its working fine...it creating a shared folder as Drive-z...and making one separate folder for user01..and everything is fine...

The problem is only with the LOCAL PATH... i have given as "c:\profile\%username%" for user02... when i logging in to user02 acc...nothing is happening to tat PROFILE folder...the users home_folder is still in default location of client compute... so i just want to know how this LOCAL PATH will useful for USERS???.....

Comment

OK, now we are nailing something down...
            The local path is an alternative to the mapped network drive for the users home directory. Nothing to do with the profile -- that is set under Profile Path in the same dialog.

IIRC it allows you to specify an absolute path e.g. D:\UserData\%username% and populates the %HOME% environment variable accordingly.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Thank u Ossian....

i hav understood clearly

Comment

Originally posted by Arun Ravichandran
                Thambi avan sonnathu unaku enna purijichi ???
                Please post in English
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Working...
                X